VRC-8000 (PRC-80) Military Radio Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I recently acquired the vehicle-mounted version of the Dutch PRC-80. I have been trying to enter new frequencies in it, but haven't been able to. When I hit the "FREQ" button, it'll enter the frequency edit mode. When I enter the frequency, and then hit "ENTER", the frequency I entered will flash and then the radio will go back to the previous frequency. I have been unable to locate an operator's manual for the radio.

W3DMV

What frequency are you programming.. The radio covers 30-88 Mz.
Do a Google search. When I did, a zillion hits came up including both
operations and service manuals...

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Military radios usually program in 25KHz increments like 51,100 50,125, etc, so make sure your not trying to program something smaller.
prcguy

Of course...NOW it works. I had totally forgotten about that for some reason.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Quick update with this thing:
Apparently, the radio has VERY poor RX sensitivity. In fact, it's so bad that it doesn't receive anything unless it is within a few feet from the radio. Anything farther doesn't even break squelch.

ironcladGA

I am new to the forum and the hobby. I recently acquired one of these VRC8000 vehicle systems without a power cable. Anyone know the pinout Or the proper power cable designation? Thanks, Chris

prcguy

Just noticed the post from about a year ago with the weak reception. I would try the manpack by itself to make sure the problem is not in the amplifier or cabling. It would be interesting to see if he ever got the radio working.
prcguy

Status
Not open for further replies.