In my travels, I've heard 155.160 used for:
SAR
SAR training
Ambulance dispatching/responses
School buses for dispatch
School buses for chat
Several sheriff's departments using it for chat
A state law enforcement agency using it for air-to-ground speed enforcement
A large SW USA police department using it for calling sniper training hits/misses on a large range
Fireground ops by at least 3 small volunteer departments (there may have been more, but no confirmation)
Hospital security
Landing zone management for aero medevac
An Outward Bound school chatting on it while hiking
A major ski resort using it for an open chat channel
Ski patrollers at a different resort conducting business on it
...And around 40 more logs which I couldn't ID. At least one was noted as "Delivery trucks in Spanish" from Northern California.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
The NIFOG designates VSAR16 along with some of the VFIRE channels and the two VMED freqs as: VHF PUBLIC SAFETY MUTUAL AID AND COMMON CHANNELS

These frequencies are licensed for various uses in many areas of the US. Actual usage varies greatly.

ecps92

Yes, just like some of the other Part 90 interops, the NIFOG is a recommendation and there maybe other users [licensed] as well as other modes in use. We [New England] have plenty of legacy licenses/users for the older [now renamed] NIFOG Channels and some are using "Locally" not for "National Interop" even P25 where-as for a NIFOG Channel most are Analog Only.

Best advise is YMMV as to who is using or not using the frequency.
The NIFOG designates VSAR16 along with some of the VFIRE channels and the two VMED freqs as: VHF PUBLIC SAFETY MUTUAL AID AND COMMON CHANNELS

These frequencies are licensed for various uses in many areas of the US. Actual usage varies greatly.

Paysonscanner

155.1600 is used all over the western U.S. for search and rescue. When I lived in California in the Sierra Nevada foothills late Hubby and I could hear it quite frequently. In some western counties, it is the only SAR frequency they use. It is commonly known as "MRA" - Mountain Rescue Association. It was something Hubby and I included in nearly all of our scanner files, except those for big cities, which we tried to not use.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
155.1600 is used all over the western U.S. for search and rescue. When I lived in California in the Sierra Nevada foothills late Hubby and I could hear it quite frequently. In some western counties, it is the only SAR frequency they use. It is commonly known as "MRA" - Mountain Rescue Association. It was something Hubby and I included in nearly all of our scanner files, except those for big cities, which we tried to not use.

Former CA SAR volunteer here. 155.16 MHz has historically gone by "MRA", "NATSAR" (short for National Search & Rescue common) and many other names prior to the formal VSAR16 designation in NIFOG.

Status
Not open for further replies.