VSP along I-77 / I-81

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinzep491

Hello Gang.

I'm looking to find out what is best to monitor to recieve VSP from South Carolina up North.

I'll be entering the state from 77 and continuing until the 81N interchange, which I will ride until I end up in West Virginia.

What troops/areas have transitioned to STARS, and who is still on their conventional freq's?

What should I be monitoring and where? Any and all help from the locals is appreciated.

Thanks again.

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
When I went through there last summer the entire I-81 corridor had transitioned to STARS. Didn't hear a peep on any of the old conventional channels from Bristol to DC.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Wytheville (Division 4) has transitioned to STARS. I believe that there are still some coverage issues in Division 4 and possibly some simulcasting on 159.000, someone that lives in the area can correct me. Last time I was up that way I monitored all of the traffic on Wytheville 1 and Wytheville 2 on STARS.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Some of Division 2/Culpeper is simulcast to the analog freqs. When we went through Division 4/Wytheville in April 2011, they were simulcasting but "ATF1224 is probably right. I also think Division 3/Appomattox around Augusta Co. is simulcasting as of the pst weekend. If you just put in all of STARS for Divisions 4, 6, 3, and 2 as well as the analog freqs you should be fine. If you don't want to hear Fairfax and Richmond Divisions as the Dept. of Corrections, I would not set a wildcard/search or lock those out. If you think there will be bad weather, you will want to put in all the analog VHF Low DoH freqs as well as the ones for STAR.

Not sure about the entire state, but I know at least Augusta Co. SO (when I lived there about 8 years ago) would also patrol I81 and I64. This is also true for Frederick Co. around Winchester. If you want what to program in for the small section of WV and MD and I81, PM me. Won't be much help for PA (most is OpenSky anyway).

VA State Police Division Map
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Virginia_Statewide_Agencies_Radio_System_(STARS)

Last edited:

gcgrotz

Regarding Augusta County, unless there is somewhere besides Bearden that you were hearing, the old 159.135 is NOT active and hasn't been for some months. As late as January, the equipment was still there but not a peep from it transmit-wise. I'm listening to it this morning from home and still not a peep.

For vinzep, Bearden is about 4 miles north of where I-64 crosses the Blue Ridge Parkway / Skyline Drive and covers the valley very well. It is a STARS site as well.

vinzep491

Thank you for all of the help. In regards to the digital or anaklog scanner, I will have both on board.

Thanks again.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Regarding Augusta County, unless there is somewhere besides Bearden that you were hearing, the old 159.135 is NOT active and hasn't been for some months. As late as January, the equipment was still there but not a peep from it transmit-wise. I'm listening to it this morning from home and still not a peep.

When I was there in Staunton this past weekend I did hear some analog state police traffic but I can't say for sure exactly what/who it was. I'm sure your info is more accurate.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

gcgrotz

When I was there in Staunton this past weekend I did hear some analog state police traffic but I can't say for sure exactly what/who it was. I'm sure your info is more accurate.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Hey Mike: maybe there is something in Staunton that I can't hear on this side, I have to run over to Wbo later today, I'll crank it in and see if I hear anything. I have it in the VHF ham rig with the external antenna.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Hey Mike: maybe there is something in Staunton that I can't hear on this side, I have to run over to Wbo later today, I'll crank it in and see if I hear anything. I have it in the VHF ham rig with the external antenna.

I'll check too today or tomorrow. I know Culpeper is simulacasting on ch. 11 in Rockingham, but not sure about Appomatox.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber

I'll check too today or tomorrow. I know Culpeper is simulacasting on ch. 11 in Rockingham, but not sure about Appomatox.

I think it might be Culpeper that I was hearing on analog. I think what happened was after the wife was asleep I was playing with the scanner and heard a trooper on STARS as for a relay which told me there was some analog traffic (unless they aren't aware that they don't need a "relay" for STARS but I don't think they actually need a "relay" for many many years on the analog towers since they started leaving the repeaters on all the time. The asking for a "relay" was basically asking the dispatcher to turn on a tower that was closest to the trooper so he could talk to another trooper that was out of range for TAC). After I heard that on STARS, I turned on the analog scanlist and started hearing some analog traffic. When I realized it was simulcast, I went back to only STARS.

I do know that the analog 154.665 (not bad from memory) TAC is still used around Winchester.

Another thing I forgot to mention for vinzep491 to listen to are the DVRS freqs. Read the note at the top. They have been heard in both analog and digital (I've heard both as well)

Virginia State Police DVRS Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

gcgrotz

Nothing was heard over in the Valley on 159.135. I'll try to remember to plug in .165 next time I go out North of town.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
Yesterday I heard Appomattox simulcasting two separate times on 159.135. I also noticed more of Culpeper simulcasting on 158.895.

ScanWV

Premium Subscriber
Yesterday I heard Appomattox simulcasting two separate times on 159.135. I also noticed more of Culpeper simulcasting on 158.895.

There for a while it seemed like I didn't hear much, but here lately they have been simulcasting on their conventional frequencies again. I wasn't sure if it was on purpose or what.

John

Premium Subscriber
Salem still simulcasts on 159.000 in the northern part of their division though they are supposed to be adding a new STARS site(s) to fix coverage gaps and discontinue the practice.

John

gcgrotz

Where were you when you heard it, Todd? I just now put .135 back in the scanner while I'm in the shack and I'll listen a while. I haven't listened for .895 in a while, not sure I can hear it in town here. I know from Randy's column in the SERA Repeater Journal that the VSP techs have been de-installing the old stuff and pitching out spares for the 30 year old system.

The .135 site on Bearden was, when it was still up, only transmitting when APP2 was active. Could be it was APP1 coming from somewhere else, Cumberland or Leigh Mtn possibly?

EDIT: Just heard Appomattox on .135 here in C'vill, full scale on the '8200 S meter 10:07 am. Not exactly burning up the airwaves with traffic. Has to be Bearden, I'll have to see if I can get there before my vacation next week.

Last edited:

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
I think it was Bearden, too. I was on Rt. 340 in Rockingham County north of Elkton. I was surprised when I heard it, because it had apparently been in my scanner since the beginning of this topic and I just started hearing it again.

Russabbey

For everyone's information, the Wytheville and Salem districts are full time STARS now. I have been listening to them for quit awhile now. Further North? I'm not sure of.

Russ AbbeyKG4MAV

Status
Not open for further replies.