VSP - Appomattox, South

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballiam

Premium Subscriber
I can’t seem to find a bottom line answer to this question, so I’m hoping you can help. The Virginia State Police has the state divided into divisions. In most divisions, they use two different frequencies. Is there a scanner out there that will receive Appomattox, Division Three radio traffic for the southern part of the division? I’m talking Campbell, Charlotte, Halifax, Lunenburg and Prince Edward counties. I’ve been told more than once the northern half of the division can be heard. I don’t know which scanner to purchase and I don’t want to buy one that won’t receive VSP where I live. Thanks for your help!

kc4jgc

1- You need to purchase a digital capable trunking scanner.
2- Check the frequencies for the tower sites for the the RRDB and talk groups for VSP Div III.

If you're only interested in the southern half of the division, you'll need to program talk groups 33 (dispatch 1), 34 (TAC 1). I would also program tg's 37,38 & 39 (division TAC, blue and red respectively). Unless you're just not interested , I would program the northern half of the division as well. Also, the neighboring divisions.

HTH,

Last edited:

QDP2012

Your first post, so Welcome to RR,

In most divisions, they use two different frequencies.

If you are referring to the old analog frequencies which were assigned two per division (and are still shown on the left side of the RR Wiki: VSP Division Map page) , then you will not be able to hear anything, because they are no longer used.

VSP (and many others) now use the Virginia STARS system, a trunked radio system that can only be received by a digital trunking scanner as kc4jgc mentioned above.

The RRDB STARS link is: Virginia Statewide Agencies Radio System (STARS) Trunking System, Statewide, Virginia - Scanner Frequencies

The RR Wiki STARS link is: Virginia Statewide Agencies Radio System (STARS) - The RadioReference Wiki

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

fredva

Feed Provider
I think most divisions today use two channels (aka "talkgroups") on STARS, with half the counties in the division using one channel and the other half using another. Technically, channels don't equate to frequencies in a trunking system like STARS. Maybe the OP meant two channels instead of frequencies.

John

Premium Subscriber
I would also encourage you to monitor the INOP-LE and COMLINC channels for each division you monitor in addition to the 3rd dispatch channel (i.e. INOP-LE3, COMLINC3 and APPOMATTOX-3. These channels are used here a lot more frequently than the Blue and Red channels for special events.

Status
Not open for further replies.