VSP Bristol-VA Beach

Status
Not open for further replies.

ropin4gold

I'm traveling from Bristol to VA Beach. Does anyone have a VSP file for my Uniden 396T? I have freescan. If not, any advice on which tower sites to program?

Thanks

W4UVV

There's a much better way

I 81- I 64 Thanks for the map..

Going I81N then exiting onto I64 going down Afton Mtn. and by Charlottesville eventually will feed you into the metro Richmond traffic congestion probably beginning near the Rt. 288 intersection area and subsequently feed you into the Peninsula traffic congestion that usually begins near the Williamsburg area. At Hampton you will have to deal with tunnel traffic congestion and then metro Norfolk/Portsmouth traffic congestion. I am from Bristol and I occasionally go to/from Bristol and to/from the Tidewater area. I speak from past travel experiences. For me Rt. 460 is the most direct way with less traffic frustrations and less fuel expense.

I recommend this route: Take I81N to Roanoke. North of Roanoke not far past the weigh station take Troutville exit 150(?). At the traffic light turn right and gas up at one of the stations. Gas is always cheaper in Roanoke for some reason. Return to the traffic light and turn right. Take the 6 mile 4 lane shortcut (Alt. Rt.220?) to Rt. 460E. Follow Rt. 460E to Petersburg. It is 4 lane all the way with bypasses for all cities/towns except Crewe. At Petersburg take I85N for about 10 miles and exit onto Rt. 460E. At Suffolk take Rt. 58E/460E and at Bower's Hill in Chesapeake follow I264 to Va. Beach.

This route will save you time, gas expense and avoiding metro traffic congestions until you enter the Chesapeake/Va. Beach area traffic.

Program your scanner for STARS Divs 4, 6, 3, 1 and 5.

K4NNW

I recommend this route: Take I81N to Roanoke. North of Roanoke not far past the weigh station take Troutville exit 150(?). At the traffic light turn right and gas up at one of the stations. Gas is always cheaper in Roanoke for some reason. Return to the traffic light and turn right. Take the 6 mile 4 lane shortcut (Alt. Rt.220?) to Rt. 460E. Follow Rt. 460E to Petersburg. It is 4 lane all the way with bypasses for all cities/towns except Crewe. At Petersburg take I85N for about 10 miles and exit onto Rt. 460E. At Suffolk take Rt. 58E/460E and at Bower's Hill in Chesapeake follow I264 to Va. Beach.

Yes, exit 150. There's a T/A and a Pilot at that exit. Both of which are nightmares when it comes to getting in and out, let alone fueling. For gasoline, there's a Shell further down US220A on the right.
UVV's right about the routing, though. Even though it may take a little longer, you still won't have to deal with that much Richmond traffic.
However, from Bristol to Wytheville, I'd program the old frequencies in as well. I'm still not hearing STARS as much as I am the conventional stuff in Wytheville (haven't monitored much farther west).

W4UVV

You are right about trying to use a gas station at the traffic light intersection. I turn right at the traffic light and use a discount gas station located approximately 600 ft. down on the left side of the road....easy in and easy out.

ropin4gold

Well had some pretty good monotoring on my trip. The STARS seemed like a pretty good system with good coverage. I also monitored VA Beach Orion while I was there. I left before the plane crash so I missed out on a once in a lifetime monitoring opportunity.

K9DUO

Well had some pretty good monotoring on my trip. The STARS seemed like a pretty good system with good coverage. I also monitored VA Beach Orion while I was there. I left before the plane crash so I missed out on a once in a lifetime monitoring opportunity.

It was fun....Lots of radio traffic from multiple agencies....

Status
Not open for further replies.