VSP Comms Along I-81

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Hey All,

All the times I've driven down to my Dad's in Tennessee, and I've never kept a radio tuned in to highway patrol frequencies. I'm planning to this time on my next trip down. Which leaves me wondering. Have VSP Division 2, 3, 4, and 6 which patrol I-81 gone completely over to the STARS TRS or are they also partially still on VHF?

Thanks in advance everybody...

gcgrotz

Everything is on STARS but there are still a few simulcasts on the old FM channels. It is very subject to change however, and you may or may not hear anything, There was a discussion on here very recently if you search back a few months.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Everything is on STARS but there are still a few simulcasts on the old FM channels. It is very subject to change however, and you may or may not hear anything, There was a discussion on here very recently if you search back a few months.

May or may not hear anything on simulcast or hear anything at all? I'm equipped to listen to STARS...once I program in the correct sites that is.

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
I drive 81 twice a year. Last year I heard nary a peep on the old conventional channels, but the STARS talkgroups were quite active.

Use this map as a reference for the sites you need to program: STARS - Google Maps

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I'd stick to STARS and stay away from the conventional. There is plenty of activity on STARS and the coverage is statewide... particulary the interstates.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

kc4jgc

I've heard Salem simulcast on their legacy channels as of last week. I think that's the only division that is still simulcasting.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Appomattox is simulcasting daylight as well on legacy ch. 6, but I'm not certain all traffic is simulcasted. Culpeper also is on legacy 11.

I have locked them out of my scanner.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

gcgrotz

159.135 Bearden still active this morning on FM. The last time I checked, it was only simulcasting APP2. Not a lot of traffic but then it never was very busy.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
And what sites are the ones to use on the way down? Will the two statewides do it all the way? Or do I need the locals also?

fredva

Feed Provider
And what sites are the ones to use on the way down? Will the two statewides do it all the way? Or do I need the locals also?

I didn't know there were any statewide "sites". If you have the capability to program STARS that is your best bet. If you are downloading from the RR site, pick the dispatch talkgroups for the divisions you listed in your original post. As for sites, the map link previously given (STARS - Google Maps) will show you which sites you can pick in or near the I-81 corridor, such as Mount Weather, Hogback Mtn, Bear Den Mtn, Harrisonburg, Apple Orchard, etc.

If you want to program in the old conventional frequencies, they are listed at Virginia State Police Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Ooops. Missed that link. Thanks! Now just need to figure out the offsets for the custom tables. Any help?

1: Base: 762.00625 MHz, Spacing: 6.25 kHz
2: Base: 136.00000 MHz, Spacing: 2.50 kHz
3: Base: 146.00000 MHz, Spacing: 2.50 kHz
4: Base: 156.00000 MHz, Spacing: 2.50 kHz
5: Base: 166.00000 MHz, Spacing: 6.25 kHz
6: Base: 136.00000 MHz, Spacing: 6.25 kHz
7: Base: 161.59375 MHz, Spacing: 6.25 kHz

Last edited:

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Now just need to figure out the offsets for the custom tables. Any help?

1: Base: 762.00625 MHz, Spacing: 6.25 kHz
2: Base: 136.00000 MHz, Spacing: 2.50 kHz
3: Base: 146.00000 MHz, Spacing: 2.50 kHz
4: Base: 156.00000 MHz, Spacing: 2.50 kHz
5: Base: 166.00000 MHz, Spacing: 6.25 kHz
6: Base: 136.00000 MHz, Spacing: 6.25 kHz
7: Base: 161.59375 MHz, Spacing: 6.25 kHz

PCPA

I didn't know there were any statewide "sites". If you have the capability to program STARS that is your best bet. If you are downloading from the RR site, pick the dispatch talkgroups for the divisions you listed in your original post. As for sites, the map link previously given (STARS - Google Maps) will show you which sites you can pick in or near the I-81 corridor, such as Mount Weather, Hogback Mtn, Bear Den Mtn, Harrisonburg, Apple Orchard, etc.

The map doesn't seem to work very smoothly with my browser--sometimes the pop up boxes have the tower site namesand frequencies partially hidden.

Can you help me out with a list of tower sites from Winchester south along 81 to 77 and then south to Carolina?

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
The map doesn't seem to work very smoothly with my browser--sometimes the pop up boxes have the tower site namesand frequencies partially hidden.

Can you help me out with a list of tower sites from Winchester south along 81 to 77 and then south to Carolina?

Have you tried another browser? Might be the best answer.

PCPA

Here is what I could assemble from the map, north to south:

Mount Weather
Pinnacle Knob
Hogback Mountain
Fork Mountain
Harrisonburg
Bear Den Mountain
High Top Mountain
North Mountain
Apple Orchard
Dismal Mountain