VSP Division 7 and STARS

Status
Not open for further replies.

richrisdon

Good afternoon, I am sort of a new user to programming a Pro 96 but a long time scanner listener. I am really about to pull out my hair on STARS. I also use win96 software.

I have read as much as I can, and am really confused.

I live in Alexandria Va. and would like to listen to STARS. I would like to continue to listen to Va State Police along with everything else on STARS, both inside the beltway as well as outside the beltway. Does this mean I will need to program 2 different Banks in the PRO 96 Scanner? I also understand I need to create a custom table for STARS, is this system MOT 3600 CC or a 9600 CC? Any other information you can share will really be a help. I have tried to read everything I can find on this but there is no easy way.

I believe I need to get a copy of PRO 96 for dummies if there is one.

kg4ivt

Premium Subscriber
I'm no expert when it comes to the 96 and STARS but when I lived in the Richmond area and first put it in my scanner a few years ago, all I did was follow the instructions on this link:

Trunktrackers and STARS - The RadioReference Wiki

Then I added in the Control Channels I could hear and the talkgroups I wanted as you normally would. At the moment, I'm in Prince William county and can't hear a peep out of anything on VHF as far as STARS control channels are concerned. From what I understand, STARS isn't completely built out and/or operational in this area at the moment. I ran Pro96Com on one of the CC's I could hear before Christmas and was only seeing 2-3 testing talkgroups coming up anyways so you're going to have to wait until it's fully online in the Northern Virginia area. For the time being, I have the 4 common (158.985/159.000/159.135/159.165 all CSQ) frequencies in the same bank as my STARS bank so I can listen to VSP up here. I can email you my Win96 programming file if you'd like, just PM me your address.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Also in the wiki link...do not check any Standard Plans under either 3600CC or 9600CC in the Extended Trunk Tables dialog--just type in the 3 table sets in top three identifiers. The scanner will ignore the last three.

But do check 9600CC bullet in main bank screen to ungray the extended tables button. One bank will be fine, but program controls and alt controls of one site then leave a blank FM space with 1300.0000 MHz between sites.

leonzo

Premium Subscriber
Division 7 Stars is not currently transmitting. Division 7 still using the old system, 159.000-for Alexandria City, Fairfax and Arlington counties, and 159.135 for Prince William and Loudoun counties. I don't know what the hold up is on Stars but if you have programmed Stars and are not receiving it that is why.

HankFrank

Premium Subscriber
Depending on where you live in Alexandria, you may be able to hear some things on STARS.

The Fairfax tower is currently down (it was operational for testing up until a couple of weeks ago) but if you are in one of the higher areas of town you may be able to hear the Fork Mountain tower or the one in Louisa County. Hearing Louisa may be a stretch but Fork Mountain you should be able to snag.

Status
Not open for further replies.