VSP MDT Usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC4ASF

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
It appears that the usage of the MDT by the VSP has greatly reduced voice traffic or I am missing something.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
I can second that in Division 5, some troopers use their MDT more than radio and vice versa. Hell, when I got pulled over by a trooper, I didn't hear the trooper run my plate or mark out on a traffic stop,I heard the dispatcher acknowledge the troopers MDT message, ' 10-4 , 2012, traffic stop I-64 WB at the 242 MM.

fredva

Feed Provider
I haven't really noticed if VSP was using MDTs more than they had been. I know they've been relying a good bit on MDTs for awhile.

When the troopers go out on traffic stops, I'm wondering if GPS tracking might be used to get the location of the stop. It would speed up the process of notifying the dispatcher. In that case, the trooper would only have to use the MDT to indicate that a traffic stop was in progress vs. having to also enter the location. It should be technically possible but whether that method is employed or not, I don't know.

KC4ASF

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
I haven't really noticed if VSP was using MDTs more than they had been. I know they've been relying a good bit on MDTs for awhile.

When the troopers go out on traffic stops, I'm wondering if GPS tracking might be used to get the location of the stop. It would speed up the process of notifying the dispatcher. In that case, the trooper would only have to use the MDT to indicate that a traffic stop was in progress vs. having to also enter the location. It should be technically possible but whether that method is employed or not, I don't know.
Good point, Mike. I would expect troopers to literally push a key now. Same as was/is done when needing help ASAP.
Typing in the tag number before they exit car is automatic.
I noticed the past month that SSP aka Safety Service Patrol provides tag and type of vehicle before they step out. I also hear dispatchers telling SSP that they are on camera often.
With the STARS changes going on now, in order to know what is going on, listening to the SSP guys getting the information from dispatch on where to go, is basically the only way to get the information as to what is going on out there. Remember SSP goes to basically all road events.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
When the troopers go out on traffic stops, I'm wondering if GPS tracking might be used to get the location of the stop.

While this would make things 10x easier, there is no mechanism (currently) to allow a trooper to mark themselves out with a single action. They must manually enter their location on the MDC.

Status
Not open for further replies.