VSP ON National PD 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metronorthradio

FREQ OF NATURE
Vermont state police trooper‘s been here in the last couple of weeks but wasn’t able to login, been using national law-enforcement channel 2(155.4750) CSQ. Lotta good chatter on this channel, have not heard anything on 163.1000 100.0

cmpsa

it turns out VT State Police switched over a year ago (approx). They stopped using 163.100 PL 110.0 and 163.350 PL 100.0, it supposedly has been removed from their mobile & portable radios. They started using 155.475 PL ??? as the new replacement, which is an interoperability channel " VLAW31 ". I had tried hearing them on this new channel to capture the CTCSS/DCS tone but they were quiet when I was in VT, but it's proposed they were operating in CSQ.

cmpsa

that is what I might have thought as well. A scanner person heard them apparently on 155.475, but another user reported it actually being 155.4825, which is VLAW32. So having a scanner locked on 155.475 might also pick them up when they are actually using on 155.4825. My Uniden BCD996P2 does that all the time, especially in VHF. It picks up conversation on adjacent frequencies, and 155.4825 is the next 7.5KHz frequency above 155.4750.

Metronorthradio

FREQ OF NATURE
I live in the upper Connecticut Valley and these are the 300 units out of ST. Johnsbury/ BRADFORD outpost. They use it quite frequently. I have both of those channels programmed into my APX 8000 radio and it keeps popping up on 475 with no tone on the scanner. The other to tac channels Are still in the radios but they don’t use them, so much for the so-called interoperability, LOL ! My good friend is one of the primary people in my area that do the programming of all the Kenwood VHF and UHF. I’ve seen code plugs with a lot of UHF P25 for the future, Mosley sheriff not much for VSP. Most of the radios in Trp. A had programming over this past winter.

Last edited:

Sh3rb3rt

that is what I might have thought as well. A scanner person heard them apparently on 155.475, but another user reported it actually being 155.4825, which is VLAW32. So having a scanner locked on 155.475 might also pick them up when they are actually using on 155.4825. My Uniden BCD996P2 does that all the time, especially in VHF. It picks up conversation on adjacent frequencies, and 155.4825 is the next 7.5KHz frequency above 155.4750.
I hear them all the time on (VLAW31 155.4750 CSQ) Seems to be the new car to car channel. (460.500 has been quiet for about a year here.) I have got hits on my scanner on VLAW32. But I think you are correct that it may be false, because they are so close together and they are just using VLAW31.
I have never seen any spikes on VLAW32 proper when monitoring using RTL-SDR which also leads me to believe it is just VLAW31 in use. Will update if this changes.

cmpsa

Metronorthradio:
I do the same thing. I use my Kenwood NX-5700 VHF mobile radio to determine which frequency it is sometimes, as the radio only receives on the correct, proper frequency. Unfortunately, I only travel to Rutland County and no where else, so it would have to be some sort of chit-chat that I would hear them, which it has been in my scanner for a year now. Just the times I drive around or monitor a base scanner (from rental house) I have heard nothing. I'm sure in other areas of VT, it is used daily or a lot on a weekly basis. and copy that too, the former 2 freqs are still programmed in, just not used anymore.. Thank you for your detailed update to us...

Blackink

So I've added both the 155.4750 & 155.4825 with a SEARCH on Analog.
Let's see if I hear anything here in Central Vermont.

I'll post back with any positive results.

ecps92

Not to hijack [but I would create a thread for the GMNF] for some better discussion

in my area I haven’t heard any chatter on their normal channel 2 most of the sheriffs are digital. Washington county does have a digital repeater but they do not use it. Pretty much all of them have an analog and a direct channel programmed in the radios. Most of not all have the UTAC channels programmed in with The call channel repeat side freq. wondering I haven’t seen anything on Vermont but has anybody heard anything on the Green Mountain national Forest? I do know that the White Mountain national Forest, NECC as they call it. I know a couple of the frequencies they use but have never been able to find the exact new NTIA input channel.

Blackink

So far I've only gotten a couple of hits on the 155.4750 but I couldn't make out what they were saying clearly. I had 2-3 bars for signal strength. The tone is set to SEARCH and there was nothing showing on the display but the frequency. No tone was flashing, nothing was flashing.

Sh3rb3rt

So far I've only gotten a couple of hits on the 155.4750 but I couldn't make out what they were saying clearly. I had 2-3 bars for signal strength. The tone is set to SEARCH and there was nothing showing on the display but the frequency. No tone was flashing, nothing was flashing.
I have had the same results when searching for tones. Even when they are nearby and I can hear them clearly, no tones in use for Washington County Sheriff or Middlesex SP. I believe they are all CSQ. (On VLAW31)

Blackink

I have had the same results when searching for tones. Even when they are nearby and I can hear them clearly, no tones in use for Washington County Sheriff or Middlesex SP. I believe they are all CSQ. (On VLAW31)
So am I confused with CSQ and DCS?
I get the local sheriff on 460.3500 DCS 411. VSP in Middlesex: 460.4250 Tone 136.5

Sh3rb3rt

So am I confused with CSQ and DCS?
I get the local sheriff on 460.3500 DCS 411. VSP in Middlesex: 460.4250 Tone 136.5
To clarify, the freqs and tones you posted for Middlesex and Washington Cnty Sheriff are correct.

I am not seeing any tones on VLAW31, when Middlesex units and Sheriff units use VLAW31 to talk to each other.

CSQ = Carrier Squelch / No tone.

Last edited:

bryank104

Premium Subscriber
I can help you with that, confirmed:
National Forest Service {NFS} (Green Mountain National Forest, Vermont)
169.1750 VT Statewide Rptrs PL 110.9 (input has various input PL tones)
166.5625 simplex PL ??? {saw on scanner list, but never heard anything in 4 years}

When I'm around the Killington area, I hear daily transmissions from the NFS staff talking back & forth to the Rutland (231 North Main St, Rutland) and Rochester (99 Ranger Rd, Rochester, off VT Rt 100) ranger station offices. Most radio comms from Rochester is maintenance related (i.e. fixing gates, checking water gauges, and other misc type work). Very rarely do I hear anything like a lost person search. Have heard of a brush fires, vandalism calls, & check on a camp site type calls. Hope that helps.

Here's the RadioReference page (includes repeater location listing):
They do weather broadcast daily. Usually in the AM

Blackink

OK, just got a hit on the same frequency as I posted the other day: 155.4750 VLAW31 with 3 good bars and clear talking. All I heard was people are calling in and ratting out the B&B's that are suppose to be shut down but are still operating.

While I was typing up that last sentence, I got some garbled talk about getting a haircut.
All salons and haircutters are closed here in Vermont so we have to depend on the better half or ourselves to get out hair cut!!

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Hey guys just a note that in Pennsylvania and New Jersey 155.475 csq has been around forever and is the go-to channel for Helo operations when one agency is assisting another.

As you observed it is a national frequency. It's also part of the New Jersey State Police emergency Network that are all PL tone protected except for this one.

This frequency is old as dirt and I can remember all the way back and would be a great frequency to monitor during these times in my area.(y)

Status
Not open for further replies.