VSP Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastieboy101

In Division 7 why does the dispatcher always say KNAA586 after a conversation is over
I know that KNAA586 is the FCC Call Sign for Division 7
I never hear dispatchers on the pwc trunked system say their Call Sign

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
beastieboy101 said:
In Division 7 why does the dispatcher always say KNAA586 after a conversation is over
I know that KNAA586 is the FCC Call Sign for Division 7
I never hear dispatchers on the pwc trunked system say their Call Sign
They do it often here in Div 5 also. They are required to broadcast the license number by-hourly, most public safety systems do it on a data freq via auto Morris Code. You shouldn't hear it if scanning in the trunked mode, but if manually selected on that freq for an hour, you will hear the broadcast twice.

RagnarD

Premium Subscriber
In a valley that only a few know where it is
Hi BB,

Just a guess but it is probably because the TRS has an automated ID on one of their frequencies that goes off at a specified interval (probably every 10 minutes).

I know that all VSP communications I have ever heard are that way (the unit or dispatcher giving their callsign) when they clear; especially while using mobile relay or TAC.

I have never heard an automated id on a VSP frequency. That does not mean they don't have or use them. But that is the reason I am assuming they do it.

Hope this helps

de
chris
kq4z

SCPD

QRT
Fmon is correct! I listen the channels 9 & 10 and after a transmission the dispatch says KIW-36.. Also when the Troopers are done with their Signal 25 they say Signal 26 and give their call letters.

Mark

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
All responses are correct. Most of the trunked systems are going to have a dedicated channel that they broadcast thier ID via CW every half-hour, whereas this isn't done by VSP.

All Divisions broadcast thier callsign after each transmission. It seems weird when people first hear it, but for the dispatchers, it's completely 2nd nature. I remember I got off work one night (as a 1st Division dispatcher) and immediately ran a call with my volunteer fire department. Apparently, when I acknowledged the dispatcher using the truck-mounted radio, I said, "KIC365" (the 1st Division callsign) without even realizing it ... till the other folks started giving me a hard time about it!

The trooper's callsign is KA5367.

Samuel

Beastieboy101-
A little off topic but back in the day not so long ago when PWC was still conventional they used to voice their callsign at the time (KLX-941) every half our or at the end of any BOLOs. This used to be common place on all public safety frequencies. If you listen to PWC fire you will here KIW-334 every now and again since they still simulcast on VHF.

Status
Not open for further replies.