VSP with blue and red lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Since when did VSP start using red and blue lights instead of blue and white? Saw 3 state troopers on I-64 around Newport News with them

Webodisk

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Since when did VSP start using red and blue lights instead of blue and white? Saw 3 state troopers on I-64 around Newport News with them

They are in Va bch too saw one yesterday, did a double take

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fredva

Feed Provider
They've been permitted by law to have red lights in addition to blue lights for a long time. It's just that they haven't been using red in recent years, now they apparently are again.

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
From what I've heard, it has to do with a study that Virginia Tech is doing in regards to the visibility of blue vs. red lights at day time and night time. I'm not sure how accurate that information is, it's just what's been mentioned by a couple of Troopers when I mentioned it the other day.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
From what I've heard, it has to do with a study that Virginia Tech is doing in regards to the visibility of blue vs. red lights at day time and night time. I'm not sure how accurate that information is, it's just what's been mentioned by a couple of Troopers when I mentioned it the other day.

That’s my understanding, also. They also have other markings on a few units they are testing for visibility.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Yes, the above replies are correct. The red and blue lights are being tested in conjunction with Virginia Tech. There are also a handful of cars with different graphics that are being evaluated as well.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Picture copied from a Facebook photo.

Attachments

• 35647603_1824817820895118_5565030958408663040_n.jpg
    35647603_1824817820895118_5565030958408663040_n.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,588

j2brown

Feed Provider
I saw one in Loudoun County a few weeks ago (but couldn't find any other info at the time), so there's at least one there.

WA4MJF

I'm a soreback, but Durham did the same thing when they dropped their public safety long time ago. They were the ones Chesapeake studied before they went to public safety many, many moons ago. Left the red (fire) on the cars along with the blue (law). Studies (Duke, maybe) showed that the blue was more visible at night and the red in the daytime. When Chesapeake was public safety Red was fire and police so there were only red lights on the cars and blue was civil defense.
I had both red and blue lights on my personal car.

Ronnie Reams

Formerly LT WBVFD, volunteer Portsmouth CD and Aux officer Chesapeake PD late 60s and early 70s.
Later did some time with DCVFD in Virginia Beach/Princess Anne County

Last edited:

fredva

Feed Provider
So it would seem to me that with the use of LEDs, visibility wouldn't be as much of an issue as it would have been in the past. Seems like studying which color was better in certain conditions would have been more important with the older style of lights which were not as bright.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
So it would seem to me that with the use of LEDs, visibility wouldn't be as much of an issue as it would have been in the past.

While any color LED is certainly brighter than it's halogen or strobe counterparts, there are still marked differences in red and blue in the daytime and nighttime. It's one reason that I hope that one day the legislature will let fire apparatus run a single blue light to the rear like has been adopted in another of other states.

Dromanchyk

In New York, blue is solely for vounteer fire fighters.... green is for volunteer ambulance/EMTs. Emergency vehicles have red or red and white only, although I have seen blue lights on NYPD units (just one light out of many).

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
In New York, blue is solely for vounteer fire fighters.... green is for volunteer ambulance/EMTs. Emergency vehicles have red or red and white only, although I have seen blue lights on NYPD units (just one light out of many).

New York changed their laws in 2007 IIRC allowing rear-facing blue lights on emergency vehicles for increased visibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.