Vt. police capture escaped inmate...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackink

Vt. police capture escaped inmate - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

I heard this on my scanner as it was happening!

This is big news for this area, nothing like this happens around here.

I even heard the helicopter crew on my scanner when they were in the area helping to look for the fugitive!

This was more exciting than finding out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie pop!!!

MB

Feed Provider
Any new frequencies pop up? What frequencies was the helicopter using? Was VSP using any of their tactical frequencies?

Blackink

I heard the VSP mention going to channel 2 when the helicopter arrives in the area with Omaha being the call sign.
Shortly after that I heard the copter on frequency 460.5000 (channel 2?) communicating with VSP.

According to the RR database, it's labeled as "VSP-Car to Car".

MB

Feed Provider
I believe Omaha is a Homeland Security helicopter out of Plattsburgh. It Seems like VSP doesn't use may other frequencies besides 460.500 and 163.100.

Blackink

I'm not sure where the helicopter came from.

I didn't hear much activity on 460.5000 until lately since all the robberies have been happening in the area here it seems that frequency has gotten more chatter on it.

vwnut13

I'm not sure where the helicopter came from.

I didn't hear much activity on 460.5000 until lately since all the robberies have been happening in the area here it seems that frequency has gotten more chatter on it.

The only time I usually hear anything on 460.5000 (other than incoming prisoners) is when 163.1000 isn't working well enough for their chit chat. Actually sometimes I hear "semi-official chit chat" on 460.5000.

I must say, 163.1000 is a very entertaining at times.

Blackink

I think I've only heard talk on 163.1000 once or twice and it didn't come in good at all, 1 bar on signal strength, very scratchy.

Now, when I hear talk on 460.5000, it comes in clear and most of the time when they mention a landmark, it's local to me here.

I'm guessing they operate locally here on 460.5000 and maybe the other frequency, 163.1000 is for an area closer up your way vwnut13?

MB

Feed Provider
Has anyone ever heard them talk on 168.350? I guess this is another car to car frequency they use.

Blackink

Has anyone ever heard them talk on 168.350? I guess this is another car to car frequency they use.

I've had that frequency programed into my scanner for some time now and haven't heard any talk on it here in the Central VT area.

vwnut13

Well, I guess I hear 163.1000 used more by the town cops. Usually random, non-police activity, such as asking the other units if they want to go on foot patrol, get a coffee, get dinner, random chit-chat, etc.

Every once in a while I may hear a sheriff or state trooper chime in. These conversations are usually on a first name basis and not unit numbers, so it's pretty hard to tell who is who.

Pretty much it's "informal car to car". State Police seem to use 163.1000 when multiple units are responding to a situation and they want to communicate between themselves. If one of the units can't hear/be heard they will switch over 460.5000.

I wonder if they shy away from using 460.5000 because there is a prison in the area, and the prisons use that frequency as well.

I have heard 460.5000 referred to as "Channel 2", and 163.1000 referred to as "Law 1" and "National Law 1".

Through a google search I found a document on seattle.gov that lists 163.1000 as DOE/DCIS and as a nationwide frequency.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.