vulgarity broadcast on ham radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

On the NUT repeater?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hmmmm, and no one has removed them from the air yet?

n9zas

KC0KM

From what I have seen, the FCC does little to do anything about it. Over the years here on our machine (K0GQ, Raytown, MO), we have had the "troll" who comes in and does this unidentified. After awhile, (and much discussion in meetings) we just ignored him. Last time when he came on and tried it (and it has been a few months now), you could almost hear the disappointment in his voice when no one responded, as if he was not even getting out. From what I have read on this board, on this repeater it seems to be common place, my best advice, either live with it, or go to another machine. That or just ignore it. But -- do not argue with him, that seems only to escalate things, (which is why we ignore our "troll", and encourage others to do the same), and you fall into his trap.

emd001

Must be talking about the 435 machine. Not trying to start a war but my personal opinion is some of those conversations are pretty funny, or entertaining to listen to. I know alot of people think its vulgar and offensive, but I have been raised in an environment where profanity is part of normal conversation so that maybe why.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
The 435 repeater seems to serve a purpose, so it's usually left alone.

Nap

There's a station in Los Angeles California that has temost vulgar ham users I've everheard.

Well it would be fun if you could relay CB radio channel 6 into their repeater. ROFL. I believe it would be illegal though.

Nap

Compared to what usually goes over the LA 435 repeater, doing so would be boring.
prcguy

LOL. Is there an internet feed or something for that repeater? I'd like to check what it is about :)

P.S. CB 6 here is not necessarily vulgar, but the guys there sound deranged and disturbing, they also have some heavily distorting equipment and they tend to shout close to the mics, overall it feels like you're in a madhouse during a collective hysteria crysis. Should make a great soundtrack for a horror movie.

Last edited:

elk2370bruce

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

On the NUT repeater?

Where else!! That IS their trademark and most people avoid these clowns like a bad case of venereal disease and don't even monitor for vicarious jollies. All radios come with a big knob that changes frequencies and is easily rotated. This thread keeps popping up from time to time and nothing changes. NUT's reputation remains in the porcelin bathroom utencil so let it go at that.

ryradio

Premium Subscriber
I just started learning about ham radio and was interested in getting into the hobby so late in the game. I have enjoyed listening to some of the hams on my SSB portable radio... mostly talking about their gear and antenna placements. But listening to about 2 minutes of that feed really turns me off....

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
.435 is the fringe of ham radio. I'll admit, at first it may seem entertaining, but after a while, it's the same old show. Kind of like Howard Stern. Same fart jokes, one guy has a meltdown on the air with another- and the anonymous turds throwing carriers, cat calls, noise makers. It gets as stale as reruns of network TV. Ironic how they claim they are "more interesting than the HI HI OM repeaters" but in reality it's just a bunch of close friends who like to push the line and get an audience. You know, not to different than a bunch of high school kids at lunch period running through the courtyard making asses out of themselves. Mentality is about the same.

The FCC has issued some sanctions but since these folks will just move over to other people's machines, it's kind of a blind eye. No one is really getting hurt, but is is certainly not the positive representation of the amateur radio service by any means.

That's what VFO's are for.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Oh, it's this thread again...

Don't like it? Don't jump in. Spin the dial or turn it off. If you disapprove, just think... if it was shut down then they'll start using other repeaters with users that may not be ok with it.

Remember that community standards need to be applied. The standards of someone from the upper midwest may be different from someone in the Los Angeles area.

elk2370bruce

I just started learning about ham radio and was interested in getting into the hobby so late in the game. I have enjoyed listening to some of the hams on my SSB portable radio... mostly talking about their gear and antenna placements. But listening to about 2 minutes of that feed really turns me off....

Guess what?? It is a complete turnoff to 99.99% of hams. Why do we keep bring this trash site up and giving them free publicity for their giggles? The big knob on the rig is useful when dealing with the miniscule minority who don't live up to accepted standards. We use it and so can you. There is plenty to have real fun with and do some community good in amateur radio so why the useless cry of outraged concern? Listen to what is really going on the bands and your initial, limited opinion will change from naive disgust to something more realistic and representative of the rest of us in our chosen avocation..

Nap

Couldn't figure it out, do those guys have a purpose or are they just killing time?

Status
Not open for further replies.