• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

VX-150 "Shoulder Mic" (Speaker Mic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkjim207

Does anyone know anywhere I can buy a "Shoulder Mic" for a Vertex VX-150 Radio. I work for a Public Safety Department at a College. I need a "Shoulder Mic" to be able to perform easy.

Thank You

WouffHong

Vx 150?

Does anyone know anywhere I can buy a "Shoulder Mic" for a Vertex VX-150 Radio. I work for a Public Safety Department at a College. I need a "Shoulder Mic" to be able to perform easy.

Thank You

Just curious - How did they get FCC approval to use a Ham Rig for Commercial or Institutional usage? :evil:

Da Wouff

bkjim207

Vx-150

I am hopefully soon to become a Ham. I got it from my partner on the department. He is a firefighter and I hope to be one soon too. You can access our departments frequency on the VX-150. That is why I have it plus it was a good deal. I am having the radio signed over to me today actually. That is why I have a VX-150. Is there something I can help you with?

WouffHong

Ham rigs on FD

I am hopefully soon to become a Ham. I got it from my partner on the department. He is a firefighter and I hope to be one soon too. You can access our departments frequency on the VX-150. That is why I have it plus it was a good deal. I am having the radio signed over to me today actually. That is why I have a VX-150. Is there something I can help you with?

Nope - I've done similar in the distant past, but transmitting with a non type-accepted radio that can be off-frequency and/or over-deviating can cost a life, or at least a nastygram from authorities.

From experience - Be advised - slippery slope. :(

Wouff

bkjim207

I have not used it yet for broadcasting. I haven't touched it yet except to listen. I have not broadcasted at all on it. Thanks for the advise. I wont use it till I become a ham.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Sick Bird

Being a Ham makes NO difference. It is still a Sick Bird.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

Thank You

Last night I checked out a vertex MH-45 public safety mic on my vx-5 and it works great with a addition of a screw to secure it to the radio where the dust cover would go. Sounds great on both transmit and receive! It's not designed for use with yaesu amateur radios,as it's a commercial mic but if your radio uses the 4 conductor single plug then it should work great.
These are much more robust than the smaller consumer mics. :D
Here is a link to it.

http://www.thiecom.de/ftp/yaesu/mh45b4b/mh45b4b-info-e.pdf

n9zas

DiGiTaLD

Type Acceptance

Doesn't matter if you are a licensed ham or not. The radio is not type-accepted for use outside the amateur bands. This is not to say that it doesn't happen (does all the time, especially with the VX-150) but it is not legal.

With that said, if you do it, it's your responsibility to deal with any possible consequences. That's all I'm going to say about that.

As for a speaker mike, there is a public safety grade speaker mike available for the VX-150. It appears identical to the Vertex MH-45B4B, the only difference being the connector to the radio. Whereas the MH-45B4B has a large molded housing around the plug with holes for screws to secure the connector to the radio chassis, the mike that is available for the VX-150 simply has a plug. Sorry, don't know the model number, but you can most likely find it somewhere on the Vertex web site.

I'm not endorsing your usage of this radio on a public safety frequency. But you asked about a speaker mike. Yes, there is a good, high quality public safety grade speaker mike available from Vertex that would be great for amateur band usage.

EDIT: If you want a type-accepted radio for use on public safety VHF (with the licensee's approval) take a look at the VX-160 or if you want a display and more option buttons, the VX-180.

Last edited:

hockeyshrink

...As for a speaker mike, there is a public safety grade speaker mike available for the VX-150. It appears identical to the Vertex MH-45B4B, the only difference being the connector to the radio. Whereas the MH-45B4B has a large molded housing around the plug with holes for screws to secure the connector to the radio chassis, the mike that is available for the VX-150 simply has a plug. Sorry, don't know the model number, but you can most likely find it somewhere on the Vertex web site...

I use the VX-150 for working public service events and ARES/RACES activities, and needed an earbud/mic setup.

Beware: the speaker/mic plug on this radio seats very deeply recessed in the case. If you get a speaker/mic with the dust cover screw by the plug or some other housing other than the round plug itself, you will need to make sure it seats properly, as it does seat deeply in the housing of the radio, or it will not work.

'shrink

N8IAA

I have not used it yet for broadcasting. I haven't touched it yet except to listen. I have not broadcasted at all on it. Thanks for the advise. I wont use it till I become a ham.

Everyone has 'assumed' that the radio has been modified to transmit out of band. This is what the posts have been warning you of. Is the radio modded? If so, it is not compliant with FCC rules and regulations. Using the radio on PS frequencies to transmit is illegal. Period. Ham band when you get licensed will be fine with the 150. Don't put your future ham license on the line, along with the business license. Just a friendly reminder:)
Larry

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
I ordered the speaker/mic for my VX-150 and it works great. I just have to remember to place the antenna latch on the antenna to keep from pulling the connector out of the rig. I didn't notice until the other day that the speaker/mic has a place on it for an ear bud! It works great also! 73'

Status
Not open for further replies.