• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

VX-2200 busy output... what am I missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VK5ZEA

Hi Everybody,

I'm trying to program a VX-2200 to provide a channel busy indication on the DSUB-15 accessory socket.

After configuring ACC Output Port 5 with "busy"... I am not seeing Port 5 (Pin 13) change state when the radio is receiving a signal.

I've tried configuring ACC I/O ports as output with "busy" and these too do not change when the radio is receiving.

I hope I'm missing something real simple... can anyone here offer some guidance?

Michael.
VK5ZEA

VSTech

Example: ACC I/O Port1: Output is set to BUSY

So when the mobile receives a signal (carrier) greater than 0.25uV or whatever the SQL Threshold is aligned too. CPU's ACC1-0 sends a high value to Q1063 CMOS switch, which causes DSUB-15 pin 9 to go low via ground. To see this value go low, you must provide a voltage (5vdc no more than 100mA) to pin 9.

If you still do not see this ground, most-likely the zener diodes that protects DSUB-15 pin 9 - 13 are probably defective.

If your serial number starts with a 0 (zero) most-likely it is still in warranty, VS provides three year warranty or when you purchased the device (proof of purchase is needed). Just make sure the depot understands what you are trying to accomplish.

VK5ZEA

I'm still not sure what is going on here... but I'm fairly sure it's not a hardware issue.

To be specific I am trying to interface the VX-2200 with a Byonics TinyTrak3. I have configured the TT3 with a 10k pull up resistor to +5V on the busy/carrier detect input.

If I program ACC I/O Port 1 Output as "Busy"... then Pin 9 immediately seems to "switch on", pulling down to 0V.

When the radio is turned on but not receiving the output FET is switching on, I'm seeing ~2.5 ohms to OV. Other ACC pins appear to be open ~85k. If I turn the radio off, the ACC1 goes back to ~85k ohms.

This behavior follows changes in programming... if I program ACC2 I/O Port 2 Output as "Busy" then Pin 10 goes to ~2.5 ohms, and so on through ACC1-4.

VK5ZEA

OK... I thought I should close off this thread with the solution!

This problem vexed me for quite some time... until it finally dawned on me yesterday. It wasn't until I looked at the Motorola Radius M120 radio I use for my IRLP node and saw the plug in the microphone socket that links the "hook" line to ground to enable the CTCSS mute.

I immediately thought about my VX-2200 radio and the issues with the I/O busy/mute output. I took the VX-2200 off the shelf and onto my workbench. I plugged in the microphone and connected the hang-up "button" to ground... the green LED went out and the I/O line went high!

I quickly whipped up an shorting RJ45 plug, linking the hook line to ground (pin1 to pin5)... problem solved!

No idea why I didn't think of it earlier!

Michael.
VK5ZEA

Status
Not open for further replies.