• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

VX-2200 LTR (UHF) on the Ham Band Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

na7q

Feed Provider
(Model: Vertex VX-2200-AG7H-50)
I've acquired some of these radios. They have a band split of 450-512. I know most Vertex models are easily able to work down in the ham bands via some hex editing.
I've been able to hex edit a codeplug to display the frequency in the CPS. However, the transmit of the CPS is another story. I'm no expert at it, and it's way different than other versions of Vertex CPS and codeplugs. I don't believe this version allows modifying the codeplug for a frequency range. As far as I could find anyway. I also can't verify that my hex editing will allow the radio to receive anything. I'm awaiting a proper programming cable.

I'm wondering if there is an gurus who might know more about this radio and the CPS for getting it on the ham bands?

na7q

Feed Provider
I have a programming cable arriving in a few hours. With a couple hours of working hard, I was able to hex edit the radio codeplug to at least show it was on the desired out of band ham frequency in the CPS. If the radio programs and accepts this, I will post all the details this evening! The LTR software is very different, so I'm unsure if everything will work. Fingers crossed.

na7q

Feed Provider
Excuse my ignorance but what is ltr... I have the ce82

LTR is a form of trunking and specific to certain versions of this radio. The VX-2200-AG7H-50 version of this radio is a trunking variant. Which isn't well documented. It is capable of conventional operation as well, so don't worry if you have this version. It requires a different version of CPS, that being CE94. Unlike the common CE82 for the non-trunking versions.
I have successfully hex edited these (and the non trunking) radios to go out of band for both receive and transmit, and they appear to do so perfectly without any need for tuning. I'd be more than happy to assist in programming, setting up, or whatever you information you need to know, to the best of my knowledge.

I'll try to create a write up on this as soon as possible. I will be unavailable this weekend, but come Monday, I will create some documentation on the undocumented matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.