• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

VX-231 factory reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

UKSkidMark

Is there any way to factory reset the VX-231?
I bought some at a rally recently, but when I try to program them it asks for a programming password :/

It appears to need a hex code as it only accepts A-F and 1-0

Thanks.

UKSkidMark

Answer found

I found the answer in another thread and it works a treat:

How to reset your password step-by-step:
1. Create shortcut for CE-99 on desktop.
2. Right click "properties". In the target box, type in -manu behind the address ("C:\Program Files\Vertex Standard\CE86 for Windows\CE99.exe" -manu). This will enter the manufacturing mode.
3. There will be a password prompt. Type in "Developer Only". Click OK.
4. Read the radio.
5. Disable or change the password.
6. Done!

m-gerty

I tried the reset scenario you posted.and got the error message that the path/file name were incorrect.

Also in your post you use two different program file names on 1 line
"Answer found

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I found the answer in another thread and it works a treat:

How to reset your password step-by-step:
1. Create shortcut for CE-99 on desktop.
2. Right click "properties". In the target box, type in -manu behind the address ("C:\Program Files\Vertex Standard\CE86 for Windows\CE99.exe" -manu). This will enter the manufacturing mode.
3. There will be a password prompt. Type in "Developer Only". Click OK.
4. Read the radio.
5. Disable or change the password.
6. Done! "

You use CE86 and CE99. I also tried to change the name ( add the -manu) on the actual exe file name with no joy.

edit: had to crop the picture, it was the only way it would upload.

Attachments

• ce99.jpg
    ce99.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 2,510
Last edited:

UKSkidMark

Hiya, the two different names was my typo. The original article referred to the CE86 software and I adapted it for my purposes.

The windows error you've got saying the program wasn't found suggests exactly that, the file path is invalid.
Can you confirm the folder you've installed the software into?

I managed to source a European copy of the CE99 software last week as the USA copy limits you to narrowband use only because of a recent FCC ruling. I removed the US CE99 and installed the European copy with no problems.

Mark

UKSkidMark

I've just looked at the screen shot again - you've got the -manu OUTSIDE of the double quotes!!
Move the " down to the end and it should work (assuming the path is correct) :)

Mark

moj

Thanks again for that info mark , you really helped when I was stuck with a programming password that needed bypassing so it was really appreciated mate ;)

m-gerty

I saw this come back up and tried it again, still no joy!! I created a new shortcut, and it works, as soon as I add the -manu that's when I get the error message. I tried it several different ways, even added a space between exe and -manu, nothing worked. As soon as remove -manu it works fine?
I even went so far as to rename the ce99.exe file to ce99.exe-manu, and that didn't work. I like a challange, but this one has me stuck.

Attachments

• ce99pic.jpg
    ce99pic.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,361
Last edited:

UKSkidMark

Try the following entries exactly as typed:

Target: "C:\Vertex Standard\CE99\CE99.exe" -manu
Start in: "C:\Vertex Standard\CE99"

I just reinstalled it here and it starts up fine with those values.

That's on Windows 10 by the way. What OS are you running?

m-gerty

Try the following entries exactly as typed:

Target: "C:\Vertex Standard\CE99\CE99.exe" -manu
Start in: "C:\Vertex Standard\CE99"

I just reinstalled it here and it starts up fine with those values.

That's on Windows 10 by the way. What OS are you running?

I'm at home now with a win XP box and I tried it on CE52 . It worked but error message said " -manu bad choice use -recovery instead" Changed to -recovery and it works, well it starts and runs, no radio connected.

Tried it on CE14 (DOS program) and -menu worked.
My computer at work is a Win7 box and the shortcut helper wouldn't allow any variation of -menu. I'll try again
in the morning just to verify.
Thanks for the education !!

m-gerty

Tried it on my work computer and it's working now !! I think I may have left out the space between .exe and -manu. I thought I put it in yesterday, but apparently not.

edit: Developer only does not work on CE99, must be some other password. Leaving password box empty and hitting enter starts the program, but I don't know at what level

CallumC8

Hi all,

Just came across this forum post and signed up to the forum to say a big thank you for the help - M-GERTY. Your messages were great and my 231's are now working fine!.

Status
Not open for further replies.