• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

VX-300V Overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

hd625b

Premium Subscriber
I have a VX-3000V that got so hot I could not touch it. This is the first time I turned this radio on. Is this heat normal?
When I began communicating with the radio using CE19D the TX indicator came on and stayed on until I turned the radio off. The power cable did not get warm at all so I'm wondering if something inside the radio might be defective causing the heat.
Thanks.
MtL

m-gerty

Is the radio new-used? If it's used, did you hear it work before you bought it? What are you using for a power supply? Usually radios get hotter when transmitting, were you transmitting before you tried to program it?

hd625b

Premium Subscriber
The radio is used. I bought it at a police auction for $25. I turned the radio on and pushed the channel button until the radio stopped on the NOAA weather frequency. Other than that no other testing was done. I was using a using a 12 volt lead acid battery for power. I'm going to use a 13.8v regulated power supply if I can determine if the radio is any good.
When I ran the CE19D software and tried to download from the radio the TX indicator came on and that is when I noticed the radio getting hot. I let the radio and PC set for about 30 seconds because it did not look like the software was doing anything. Well, it must have done something because the TX indicator came on and the radio got hot.
I not sure if the the software is supposed to turn the TX indicator on or not.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Are you sure you have the correct programming cable?

once you plug in the programming cable with the radio turned on does the TX light come on?? if yes then you need to make sure you have the correct cable for that radio and then turn the radio off before plugging in the cable to the radio

hd625b

Premium Subscriber
I hooked up the radio this morning, turned it on and it came on for a few seconds and shut down. I opened the case, looking for fuse, and it looks like a diode got burnt near where the power wires are attached to the board. The diode looks burnt and discolored so I think I need to get that repaired.
I have a Belkin F5U409 USB to 9 pin male with a 9 pin to mini USB cable that I use to program my BCD996XT. The Belkin works on the rear 9 pin on the 996XT so I thought it might work on the VX3000.
Thank You all for your help.
I'll get the diode replaced and give it another try.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.