• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

VX-4000 / VX-5500 / VX-6000 dual deck

ufdemt15

Feed Provider
I currently have a Vx-4000v with remote head single deck and I would like to have a single head dual deck to add UHF. Can you mix a Vx-4000v deck and a Vx-5500u deck with a remote head or do you need to keep it all vx-4000's?

express315

Yes, you can mix them in any combination of models as long as both decks belong to a different band - L, V or U.
If I remember correctly lower band deck must be set as slave (or vice versa).
Correct ports for interconnection described in a manuals that come with remote adapter kits. In the Common/Hardware you have to set Dual Deck/Single Head and select a slave deck and proper bands and models before you start. The programming must only be done via connector at the remote head after everything is connected. Do not use deck side connectors. Read the Help files in CE49. The whole process is very confusing but it can be done. I did it last year, took me a while.
In the end you will not only have a dual band radio but also a two way cross-band repeater.

express315

Pictures of VX-4000 dual deck/single head V and L modded for 2m and 6m.

Attachments

• XbandV.jpg
    XbandV.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 19
  • XbandL.jpg
    XbandL.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 18

E5911

Premium Subscriber
Im looking to do the same but need to know how to determine a vx5000u is the A or D version. I need coverage 430-450
Which split will work for ham ?

express315

I don't think you will ever find the A version in North America. I only see D version radios 450-490 mhz.
When you read from a radio with CE49 software, then go to "Hardware" tab and you will see the frequency split along with the model.
I suspect the A model would have "VX-5500U A" printed on the label, but again I have only seen how A models for Low Band are marked.
On the other hand D model is easily hex edit opened down to 440 mhz and will work if you used CE49 v4.0.6
Other sw versions make radios to behave erratically on out of band frequencies.
I don't know why you need 430 mhz, there are no HAM repeaters below 442 mhz in my country.
The A version would be ideal, but they were probably only available in other parts of the world.
Let me know if you ever find one.