Yaesu: VX-6R Noise Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mscookie

Hi!

I'm fairly new to ham radio. I'm taking my tech exam soon and purchased a used VX-6R. I noticed that there is a rhythmic choppiness on some frequencies (usually repeaters) when the signal is coming in at around S5 to S9. There is no choppiness when the signal is S9+ from local transmissions (local pd, sheriff, NOAA). The issue is reproducible with my diamond rubber ducky and my large "Slim-Jim" antenna I bought from n9tax. There is no choppiness heard on my UV-5R using the same antenna on the local repeaters so I think I can rule out interference.

Is this a fault with the radio or is there a setting I should change?

(I'm uploading a youtube video to show as an example)

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
You might have Priority/Dual Watch turned on. Radio will be switching to the Dual Watch channel to listen for activity and you will hear a 'blip' in the main channel you are listening to when it does that.

Mike

P.S. If you don't have the operator manual go to the Yaesu site and download the PDF file for your radio.

mscookie

You might have Priority/Dual Watch turned on. Radio will be switching to the Dual Watch channel to listen for activity and you will hear a 'blip' in the main channel you are listening to when it does that.

I checked the radio and Dual Watch was turned off. I made a short video(audio only) to better show the issue. The audio is taken from the same repeater within about 5 minutes of recording. https://youtu.be/K5HJJGyfMxs

I went through all my settings and they are all the default settings according to the Yaesu Manual. The only settings I've tweaked are RF SQL to S1 and SQL to 5.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
As it is used, did you do a total reset? That way you will be starting from the factory settings. This is just to rule out some funny settings previous owner may have used. My initial thought on hearing the short recording is that the speaker is shot. But my ears are not that good so don't take that for the actual cause. This shouldn't be a problem if you are getting some transmissions OK. But do a reset and start from there.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
If the problem still occurs after performing a factory reset, go to VFO mode and listen to several local FM broadcast stations. Does the problem occur there?

mscookie

As it is used, did you do a total reset? That way you will be starting from the factory settings. This is just to rule out some funny settings previous owner may have used. My initial thought on hearing the short recording is that the speaker is shot. But my ears are not that good so don't take that for the actual cause. This shouldn't be a problem if you are getting some transmissions OK. But do a reset and start from there.

I did do a factory reset when I got it. I did both resets again and the issue is still there.

mscookie

If the problem still occurs after performing a factory reset, go to VFO mode and listen to several local FM broadcast stations. Does the problem occur there?
I did the two resets again and in VFO the local FM stations don't have the issue.

try loosening your squelch control.
I tried turning the squelch all the way to 0 and the issue still persists. I'm considering returning the radio :( my $35 baofeng doesn't make this awful choppy noise.

wrath

Does the 6 have the automatic simplex checker or the auto mode stuff that could be weirding out on you ? Never had a 6 personally but I know that stuff is in a lot of Yaesus, I have it my 5 but I think they put 220 in the 6 instead of the 50 .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

mscookie

Does the 6 have the automatic simplex checker or the auto mode stuff that could be weirding out on you ? Never had a 6 personally but I know that stuff is in a lot of Yaesus, I have it my 5 but I think they put 220 in the 6 instead of the 50 .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I've taken a look and the auto check is disabled. I uploaded a new video that has video fo the radio this time. https://youtu.be/rD3JLraNIx0

If wide FM (WFM) mode sounds OK but narrow FM (FM) mode has static issues, it may be a failing 450kHz ceramic filter.
Yaesu VX-series sensitivity issue repair
I'll open the radio up this weekend and test that filter with a multimeter. If that's the issue it sounds like a quick fix. I uploaded a new video to show a better example of the issue https://youtu.be/rD3JLraNIx0

ShawnInPaso

Premium Subscriber
Hey mscookie -

Does the noise occur on the radio at different locations (e.g. away from your house, in the car and so on)?

I have a VX6R also and I get a very similar noise on much of the 2 meter band because of a router/security camera causing RFI. The noise is stronger on some freqs than others. When I get away from the house, the noise goes away.

kmh603

I had the same problem and I fixed it by reducing my Rx squelch from 5 to 2. And by using WFM only for fm radio. If you use WFM on amateur radio, you are going to have audio problems. Also buy RT Systems computer programmmer! It makes a world of difference when changing preferences or frequencies on your yaesu vx radio. It's so much easier with that software.
Kmh603

Status
Not open for further replies.