vx-7r locking up after charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4ELO

My 7r has developed a little problem recently. Been noticing that after charging the battery, the radio will lock up a few seconds after turning on. Nothing will work, will not power off.... I have to take the battery out for a few minutes, then when i put the battery back in, it will immediatly power back on itself. If I am quick enough, I can hit the power button to turn it off for a few minutes, then back on and its ok till i charge it again. On a side note, this also happens if i take the battery out and charge it alone without the radio.

Anyone else have this issue?

KK4ELO

Yeah its all set up. Its been fine, just started this here recently. I am gonna reset it this afternoon and hit it with the software again. Maybe that will fix it.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
This issue is not new.It manifests itself in different ways. I owned a VX-7R black a few years ago. After you TX for a while or after it just comes out of a charger, it gets warm, the audio got distorted and shutt down. This is because the unit was not built to allow heat to escape. The
waterproofing on it meant to keep water out, kept heat in! After you popped off the battery, the unit would get back to normal until the heat built up again. Yaesu was well aware of this problem. It wasn't every unit either, but the internal heat issue was common. I got tired of the problem and just sold the darn thing! Great radio but I just could not live with that issue. I went through 2 of them back in 2008 thinking I had a bad one at first and both had the issue. Here is a link:
http://forums.radioreference.com/all-other-scanner-manufacturers/99961-yaesu-vx-7r.html
Check out comment #2 on this link:
http://www.qsl.net/vkportable/rr/vx7r.htm

Manny

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.