VX-7r not transmitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

sactrack

I've got a VX-7r that is only transmitting hit/miss while using a mic (MH-57). Using the PTT button on the side of the radio, it transmits fine every time. I figured I probably had a short int he mic cable somewhere so got a new mic, but the new one isn't working any better. I can see the power meter in the display key up just as if it were transmitting normally, but none of the other radios pick up anything. The speaker in the mic works fine.

Anyone have any thoughts? or ideas on how to fix? maybe a contact inside the mic jack not quite making contact or something?

Thanks

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
As a previous owner of a VX6 I know that the speaker/mic jack requires it to be screwed completely in. Typical multilevel 3.5mm plugs without the screw threads do not have the reach to make all contacts. That could be your problem or not. :(

Mike

sactrack

The mic's I'm using have the threads in there. That was my first thought (that it wasn't seated right). But I've tried several times and sometimes transmits, but most time doesn't. When I first bought the radio and original mic 2 years ago, had no problems of any sort. i'm thinking it's something in the mic jack (maybe some prongs not making contact, or a loose connection or something.

Anyone ever take one apart? I use this radio for SAR so don't really want to be out of service for the 2-3week turnaround Yeasu is wanting for a diagnosis & repair.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I think there is a mic gain adjustment in the menu, also. I don't own one of these, but my brother does. We had to adjust it for his remote mic. Might need to increase the mic gain.

sactrack

thx. I'll take a look into that. But if the mic worked fine w/out gain adjustment before, and then has started working intermittantly now w/no other settings adjustments, I'm going to guess it's hardware related, not adjustment. But I'll check into that. Thanks

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
thx. I'll take a look into that. But if the mic worked fine w/out gain adjustment before, and then has started working intermittantly now w/no other settings adjustments, I'm going to guess it's hardware related, not adjustment. But I'll check into that. Thanks

You might try removing the battery so there is no dc present and spray a small amount of alcohol in the jack and let it sit. It should evaporate fairly quick. if the jack is oxidized at all, the alcohol may dissolve it. I have a vx6 but never had this problem.
Just a thought.

n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.