VX 7R programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

usnasa

hello all
I have the yaesu radio trying to program it using the vx 7 commander software and i am trying to read from the radio in order to program it but keep getting an error

Waiting for first data
block... ERROR: Timeout while waiting for first data block.
and port closed ?
i have the usb cable and the one that screws into radio tryed different things any one can help me

thank u

wa2chj

I'm not sure how familiar you are with programming a VX-7, so here are some basic things to try:

1. Make sure the VX-7 is in programming mode.
2. Make sure you have a correct USB driver for your cable.
3. Make sure you have the correct USB port selected in the programming software.
4. Make sure your cable is the correct one, and is seated fully in the speaker/mic jack.

If all of those are correct, let us know, and I, or someone else will give you other things to look at.

Scott

usnasa

i have done this once before yes I know what i think to do lol i need to put monF key while turinging on radio says clone then close box on vx 7 commander software and then put band but getting the error the cable keeps on turning when i screw it in it is not tightening any ideas ?

wa2chj

This thread probably should be moved to the Amateur Equipment area, as this area is for Vertex Standard commercial equipment not Yaesu Amateur, and it will get wider exposure.
A couple more questions. You said you've done this before. Does that mean it worked with this same radio, cable, USB, software, and computer sometime in the past, or that you've tried it before with the same results?
The jack on the top of the VX-7 is very deep, and takes a special plug to fit into it and make the correct connections. I've seen and used two different versions. One that is threaded and meant to screw in all the way to the bottom, another has a smaller than usual diameter barrel that will fully insert into the jack and not bottom out on the top edge.
If you haven't gotten this set up to work in the past, make sure your cable either screws all the way down and stops, or fits into the jack far enough.
If none of that is the problem, my money is on the USB. Somewhere the driver, the cable, the adapter, or the port isn't talking with the radio, and it's timing out.
Scott

Last edited:

usnasa

i am using this cable
Radiogearpro.com
different compter when i write to the radio it says writing and goes to 100 percent data complete but no chs in radio ? and i will try the other method
thank u

wa2chj

The Alternate GUI suggestion applies to another Yaesu radio, so it won't help the VX-7. Sorry to mislead you. I program so many Yaesu and Vertex radios it's hard to keep them straight. When I went back and checked, the VX-7 doesn't have the option I was looking for, and the Alternate GUI only affects how the computer display looks.
Did you get a special USB driver with that cable? If not, you should have, and that may be the problem.

usnasa

i dont think its a driver problem in device manager it says ready i dont
have a yellow mark so it might be just the cable what about the com port or settings on computer and vx 7 commander can u tell me settings would be helpful ?

thank you

k6cpo

I've heard many, many horror stories about programming software that is confusing, and cables with counterfeit chips or don't work at all. I use RT Systems software and cables to program my 5 Yaesu radios. Their cables work and the software is fully featured and transfers data to and from the radios flawlessly.

When it comes to programming software and cables, "You get what you pay for."

prcguy

I have a lot of radios to program and looked into RT Systems, but at upwards of $65 for some models and their "special" cables that will not work with anyone else's software, including factory turned me way off. You can buy a Baofeng UV-5 radio for under $30 brand new and a cable for $7 but RT Systems wants $49 for their UV-5 software and cable. That just doesn't make any sense, especially when many companies provide great programming software for free.

I've had great success with inexpensive cables from Kawamall and others on Ebay and the $15 software from G4HFQ seems to have every feature the RT Systems does. Then I discovered the free Chirp software that has a growing base of radios it works with. I can't see how RT Systems will continue to do business, especially after Chirp eventually covers all the models that RT does.

In my opinion you don't get what you pay for with RT Systems, you take it in the shorts instead.
prcguy

I've heard many, many horror stories about programming software that is confusing, and cables with counterfeit chips or don't work at all. I use RT Systems software and cables to program my 5 Yaesu radios. Their cables work and the software is fully featured and transfers data to and from the radios flawlessly.

When it comes to programming software and cables, "You get what you pay for."

wa2chj

I've used the Kawamall cables as well, but the serial version, not the USB. My set up is a serial cable plugged into an RT Systems Serial to USB converter. It's the ONLY USB converter I've found that works with everything I've tried. The only problem I've ever had...and it happens all the time...is that the RT Systems cable somewhat randomly assigns and reassigns the COM port it's using, so you sometimes have to try quite a few before you hit it right. The other option is to look in Device Manager to find out where it is connected, but I can usually get the right port with a couple tries rather than going to Control Panel, etc. which is a pain in WIndows 8.
usnasa,
I still think USB/Serial is your issue. The plug that goes into your VX-7....how many connections does it make? Three or four?

Scott

usnasa

thank u too all i will buy a new cable and try but question i am getting an error when charging the battery it says charging but after it is complete instead of saying CHARGE COMPLETE it said CHARGE ERROR ? which i never got before could this be a problem with reading the radio ?

thank u

wa2chj

Any of the Ham Radio stores like HRO, AES, Universal, and there are many more. Also, I've bought some on aution sites that have far outlasted OEM batteries.

k6cpo

I have a lot of radios to program and looked into RT Systems, but at upwards of $65 for some models and their "special" cables that will not work with anyone else's software, including factory turned me way off. You can buy a Baofeng UV-5 radio for under $30 brand new and a cable for $7 but RT Systems wants $49 for their UV-5 software and cable. That just doesn't make any sense, especially when many companies provide great programming software for free.

I've had great success with inexpensive cables from Kawamall and others on Ebay and the $15 software from G4HFQ seems to have every feature the RT Systems does. Then I discovered the free Chirp software that has a growing base of radios it works with. I can't see how RT Systems will continue to do business, especially after Chirp eventually covers all the models that RT does.

In my opinion you don't get what you pay for with RT Systems, you take it in the shorts instead.
prcguy

I'll stick by my statement. I have yet to see a programming horror story from anyone using RT Systems products.

If you have a Yaesu radio and you go to HRO to get the Yaesu cable and programming software for the radio, you know what you get. RT Systems cable and software in a Yaesu box... If it's good enough for the manufacturer it's good enough for me.

N1BHH

thank u too all i will buy a new cable and try but question i am getting an error when charging the battery it says charging but after it is complete instead of saying CHARGE COMPLETE it said CHARGE ERROR ? which i never got before could this be a problem with reading the radio ?

thank u

Don't buy a new cable, it's most likely a battery condition problem. If you have the lighter adapter (the regulated type, with the inline choke) plug that in when you attempt to upload programming. You must also be sure to have the LOCK turned OFF to program the radio. Yaesu radios won't program if locked.

usnasa

Thank you no I don't have the lighter adapter and the cable I bought already just waiting for it and the battery would really prevent it from reading ?

N8IAA

Thank you no I don't have the lighter adapter and the cable I bought already just waiting for it and the battery would really prevent it from reading ?

Absolutely. If the voltage is low, it won't allow the processor that is in the radio to function properly.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.