Yaesu: VX-8DR analog or digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
My 2 cents.. :)

The rubber duck antennas that come with handheld radios are the worst possible radiators. There are after market HT antennas that are only slightly better than terrible.

Depending on where you live, you'll want to get an antenna outside. If you're in a house, get it on the roof. If you're going to use the thing in the car, pick up a mobile antenna that mounts outside the car. Doing this will proved 1000% better results than buying another ducky.

The radio has four bands. Which bands do you intend to use? (You may need 220 or 50 Mhz. It depends if you have repeaters for these in your area).

bhadresh

I am planning to go for a mobile device, like Kenwood TM-V71A which I will use it from home. Right now I stay in an apartment which does not allow me to install antenna outside.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
I own the Yaesu VX-8DR and it's a great 4 band dual tuner radio. Picks up pretty good outside with the included ducky but when I'm in my car I use a 2M/440 mag mount (Comet M-24M Mobile Antenna M24M) on the roof for far greater results. At home I use my Yaesu FT-8900R mobile quad band dual tuner hooked to a discone antenna 30 foot high. For apartment living, maybe you could have an antenna you could put outside at night or when/if no one is watching too hard. I use mobile antenna's running out to the porch/deck when I'm in a hotel room with good results even though most mobile antenna's need a ground plane for optimum results. I always ask for a room on the upper floors also.

bhadresh

To start with, I will go for mobile device.

Is there any way I can pull the radio on/off from my jeep? I mean I can use the radio both in car and at home?

With this I will use a mag mount antenna which I can try to use at home (not sure if this is a good idea). If it works then I am sure it will be better than the rubber antennas.

Please suggest.

wqtz773

Suggestion: Take a close look at Smiley antennas. I have them on all of my HTs. I have had NO trouble with them ever.
They are 3/8 antennas mono-band tuned to whatever frequency you are wanting them for. Good knowledgeable people who will work with you.
I always consider the rubber duck antennas that come with radios to be lossy radiating dummy loads not worth the time it takes to take them out of the box.

wqtz773

Taking the radio out of the car and using it at home.

To start with, I will go for mobile device.

Is there any way I can pull the radio on/off from my jeep? I mean I can use the radio both in car and at home?

With this I will use a mag mount antenna which I can try to use at home (not sure if this is a good idea). If it works then I am sure it will be better than the rubber antennas.

Please suggest.

Yes there is.
For the power connections, use Anderson power pole connectors. They are great for quick connections to power supplies.
For the antenna connection. Just unscrew the connector from the car connection and take it out and connect to the house antenna connector.
Put the Magmount in the trunk when you take the radio out of the car. Keeps thieves and others form knowin that there is an installation in your car.
Should not be any problems there.

Best Wishes de John WA8LGM 73.

Status
Not open for further replies.