Yaesu: VX-8DR Error when trying to program via USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone - I've been trying with no success to program my VX-8DR via USB cable. I have the RT Systems cable and software and have tried on multiple systems with multiple USB-59 cables also.
I am getting to the Clone screen just fine, and then when I press BAND to transmit, the window changes to TX and then about 10 seconds later I get an ERROR message on the radio.
The same result happens when I use the RT Systems software and when I attempt to use the FTBVX8 tester.
I have updated the driver from the 2009 to the 2016 release with no success as well.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Have you contacted RT Systems? Since you are having problems with their cable and their software, that's who I suggest you contact.

Have you contacted RT Systems? Since you are having problems with their cable and their software, that's who I suggest you contact.

Yes - they were quite responsive and sent me a new cable. Same issue [emoji52]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FKimble

Can you program it manually? Can you put the freq into the VFO and transmit? What freq are you trying to input? Could it be you are trying to use a freq outside the limits of the radio?

Frank KK4YTM

Can you program it manually? Can you put the freq into the VFO and transmit? What freq are you trying to input? Could it be you are trying to use a freq outside the limits of the radio?

Frank KK4YTM

Yes - programming manually works fine. Regarding the cable programming I’m not trying to set frequencies I am just trying to read the initial config from the radio.

In that case, ditch RT Systems' cable and software. I've always had good luck with programming cables from Valley Enterprises (https://www.valley-ent.com/store/two-way-radio/programming-cables). Make sure to get the ones with the FTDI USB-to-RS232 chip.

I have also taken one of the cables and run the FTI Utility to change it from an RT Systems cable to the default configuration. I then tried using the cable with CHIRP and got the same result.
It looks like the cable is being seen by the system but the radio is not transferring any data due to the connection between the computer and the radio not being successful?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Is this a radio you bought new? Any chance something you've done might have damaged the jack on the radio? Are you sure that you are fully inserting the plug into the jack?

majoco

Stirrer
Can you read the memories back from the radio?

I made my interface for my VX2 which works fine from a serial port but does not like a USB to serial adapter.

Can you read the memories back from the radio?

I made my interface for my VX2 which works fine from a serial port but does not like a USB to serial adapter.

No - unfortunately not. It won’t read info from the radio either.

Is this a radio you bought new? Any chance something you've done might have damaged the jack on the radio? Are you sure that you are fully inserting the plug into the jack?

Bought it used - the gps unit was attached to that interface and worked well. I don’t have that anymore.
I’ll guess I can call Yaesu tomorrow and ask for any suggestions?

KD9KSO

Have you checked to see which COM port the radio is using in the Device Manager on your computer?

majoco

Stirrer
Ahh - I remember something about my VX2 - may be the same for your 8 - the socket that you plug the cable into on the radio is quite recessed - on inspection I found that the outer of the plug fouled the sides of the recess and prevented you pushing the plug all the way in to the socket - it felt firm but was not actually making the proper contact. I had to just unscrew the cover lightly (as I had made my interface from commercial parts) but yours will likely be moulded onto the cable and need a bit trimmed off the sides so that you can get full insertion.

zuren

It looks like the connector on the VX-8 is different than the threaded connector on my VX-7.....which I have hated from day #1. Mine will behave in the same fashion if I don't apply a bit of force to get it to fully thread into the socket. I'm wondering if you are having a similar issue - simply not making good contact.

That being said, if the radio was purchased used, one of the pins could be damaged. Did the GPS unit that you had for it use all of the pins in the socket?

merkuree

HI there, I was looking for a fix for the same error. FWIW, the fix I found was to reset the radio to factory defaults and then resynch with the RT cable. The reset for the radio is hold Band, HM/RV and the 'X' symbol (below the HM/RV key0 simultaneously and power on the radio. Radio will displat message about reset and then press the FW key. Power down, restart and synch the data from RT software again. Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.