VX-8DR - New to Ham Radio - No response when trying to transmit

Status
Not open for further replies.

lahori

Hi,

I am new to Ham Radio, just passed my technician and general exams.
Bought VX-8DR Yaesu.

Trying to hit repeater in GeorgeTown TX, 146.640, but no luck. I can hear people on 146.640, but when try to transmit, seems like no body is hearing me.
I have set A-band to 146.640 and when hit the HM/RV it shows 146.040
Also the SQLTone is set to Tone, Split is ON. Offset is 600khs. Shows -RPT

Appreciate any help.

Best Regards

ResQguy

Meh
Did you set the repeater's CTCSS tone to 162.2 also? Page 35 of the manual explains that step.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
VX-8DR

If you are programming from the keypad, think about getting the software. The is a very complex radio and as hard to program as some of the Chinese HTs.

N8IAA

Hi,

Bought VX-8DR Yaesu.

Trying to hit repeater in GeorgeTown TX, 146.640, but no luck. I can hear people on 146.640, but when try to transmit, seems like no body is hearing me.

Appreciate any help.

Best Regards

Provided you are using the antenna supplied with the radio, the high power mode, and the proper transmit tone for the repeater, it will truly depend on the distance to the tower.
The greater the distance and terrain (trees, buildings, etc.) all have to be taken into consideration. You may need a gain antenna to make sure you are able to access the repeater.
Welcome to the amateur radio community.
Larry

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

Bought VX-8DR Yaesu.

Appreciate any help.

Best Regards

It looks to me like you programmed everything correctly. Good job. The problem is that the repeater is an alligator. What's an alligator you ask?

An alligator repeater is one that has a big mouth (you can hear it) but it can't hear you.

Try to get to higher ground and try again. Buy a better antenna to replace your rubber ducky. Or hook it up to a mag mount antenna for more gain. If that all fails, look online for a closer repeater.

But really, you should look into getting a 50 watt, 2 meter radio, and an antenna up on your roof. Then, you should have no problems. It's tough trying to get out with just a 5 watt HT..even a really nice one. lol.

WB4CS

Outdoor antenna. Problem solved.
Outdoor antenna + mobile radio with 50W of transmit power = Even better solution.

Welcome to ham radio and congrats on passing your tests! Now the real fun and learning begins. A handheld radio is great to carry around, but hardly something that will allow you to communicate more than a few miles.

If a base antenna or radio are out of your budget right now, try getting a different rubber-duck antenna. Maybe one with more gain. Most stock antennas are nothing more than radiating dummy loads. That might help out a little, but you'll still probably need to find a high spot outside of your house to really get any kind of transmit distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.