VX-8DR & VX-8R Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris-KH2PM

Premium Subscriber
It's a firmware update with added features that should be free of charge to download and update from your home PC. This new update will likely be included in future units for no extra charge. I'm contemplating getting a VX8R but now I'll wait and see if this update is standard soon.

SmartBeaconing info:

HamHUD - SmartBeaconing™

SmartBeaconing is already being utilized in the Kenwood TM-D710.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
It's a firmware update with added features that should be free of charge to download and update from your home PC.
If the firmware in the VX-8R was user-updatable like many other radios. Apparently, that's not the case.

I'm contemplating getting a VX8R but now I'll wait and see if this update is standard soon.
Or wait for Kenwood's TH-D7 replacement that's expected to be out next May. It very likely will have a built-in GPS receiver in addition to APRS capabilities.

Paulsan

It's a firmware update with added features that should be free of charge to download and update from your home PC. This new update will likely be included in future units for no extra charge. I'm contemplating getting a VX8R but now I'll wait and see if this update is standard soon.

SmartBeaconing info:

HamHUD - SmartBeaconing™

SmartBeaconing is already being utilized in the Kenwood TM-D710.

It appears that Universal is selling them as two different radios.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Agree - 2 different radios. The link I posted allows the VX-8R to now become a VX-8DR, which will be available 12/29/09. I doubt the VX-8R upgrade will be free someday since Yaesu is charging 60 bucks.

Makes me wonder if Yaesu isn't tweaking something else under the hood, like adjusting heat and/or speaker issues. The added APRS functionality sounds just like what you'd get in a firmware upgrade, which pretty much everyone knows how to do. So why now allow the consumer to do it (other than the obvious answer of charging for service)?

dsviper22

No there's no physical, mental, aural, spiritual difference between the VX-8R and the VX-8DR. The difference is all internal. I for one am looking forward to the upgrade! As soon as I can get more info i'm sending my VX-8R in!

eorange

It depends how much of an APRS freak you are - the DR upgrade provides more APRS memory, routing options, etc. For me, with the regular VX-8R, I am just a casual users of APRS. Don't need that other stuff (for $60!)

If you were planning on spending the full $ for the DR, then perhaps consider getting the VX-8R, and use the rest of the $ for the programming software and cable.

Anyway, just a thought. You'll be happy with whatever VX-8R you get.

JohnBreen

OK it is now January 18, 2010.

Is there going to be an VX-8R upgrade offered by Yaesu or not? Yes, I am aware that Universal Radio says there will be but I don't se any source for that opinion. I can find nothing on the Yaesu web site regarding an update.

It is beginning to seem to be an "Urban Myth". There have been a lot of "opinions" offered in various fora but none that I have seen can quote an authoritive Yaesu source. So, is there is or is there ain't? Does anybody have some information that is more than an opinion?

John (N3JPB)

JohnBreen

January 18, 2010. Time marches on.

Is there anybody that has authoritive information (more than just an opinion) to indicate that Yaesu will offer and upgrade to the VX-8R? Yes I know Universal Radio has said that it will happen but they did not provide a Yaesu source.

It has been around the rumor mill for so long now without any official word from Yaesu (e.g., via their web site) that it is begining to seem an "Urban Myth".

Regards, John (N3JPB)

eorange

Interesting point. I search and apparently only Universal offers the upgrade - not even Yaesu. Hmmm...

Maybe Yaesu only licensed Universal to do this, although why would that be...?

kg4liw

Yaesu VX-A Upgrade

I called customer service at Yaesu and they did confirm that there would be an upgrade. They did not have a firm date for it to be released. But they did offer to take my information and contact me when it is available.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Does Yaesu still put that piece of waterproof film over the "speaker" like they did on the VX6? that would "muffle" the modulation??...Are you getting good reports about your modulation on the VX8R...I have the FT50, it does not have that film over the speaker but its not wanting to turn on with the little rubber button lately due to wear so i thought about purchasing the VX8r....Thanks

kg4liw

Does Yaesu still put that piece of waterproof film over the "speaker" like they did on the VX6? that would "muffle" the modulation??...Are you getting good reports about your modulation on the VX8R...I have the FT50, it does not have that film over the speaker but its not wanting to turn on with the little rubber button lately due to wear so i thought about purchasing the VX8r....Thanks

I have "heard" that they do, but I have not observed that for myself. I have also "heard" that if the radio is in use for a while, the internal heat will cause an air pressure increase inside the radio, it is water proof, and cause the microphone audio to be muffled. One resolution mentioned was that opening one of the rubber caps over the external power or external speaker will relieve that pressure and restore the microphone audio quality.

I have not experienced that for myself.

Also, as a add on note to the VX-8R upgrade, the programming software from RT Systems now supports the VX-8RD upgraded version, so it appears that the upgrade is forthcoming. Only time will tell.

So far, I am VERY happy with the radio.

CatskillGuy

Smart Beaconing

Smart beaconing is a function that allows the radio to determine how often it will transmit aprs GPS information into the network. It determines frequency by the speed at which you are traveling. Slower speeds equals less frequent Beacon Transmissions.

Chance

Feed Provider
You may have not noticed. It's been 7 years since the last message was posted in this thread. Not flaming, I did the same a while back ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.