VX7 DPL Transmit problem in Dual recever mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronenp

VX7 DPL Transmit problem in Dual receiver mode

Hi there
I have noticed that when the two receivers mode are turned on the DPL transmit is flowing between the two DCS set at the two receivers (i.e if main VFO have DCS 021 and the sub VFO has DCS 023 the Transmit (while on the main VFO) is flowing between the 021 and 023 mostly the DCS that is on the sub band .....

If I set the two Bands to same DCS then all ok ... (of course ) .....

This problem is not exist in single receiver mode ....

Anyone saw this problem ?
something can be done (beside using the single receiver mode ) ?
Thanks Forward
Ronen - 4Z4ZQ
Ronen Pinchooks (4Z4ZQ) WebSite

Last edited:

XTS3000

this is a known bug in the VX-7R that's never been fixed since the radio was released.

dirob

It is interesting that Yaesu Customer Service is unaware of this bug. After spending $45.00 for service they claimed the radio worked perfectly. Only after many emails and a couple of YouTube entries did they acknowledge the design flaw, they have a fix but their attitude is "So Sorry" Check out my Youtube Demo at:
Yaesu VX-7R transmit problems - YouTube
73, KJ6EPE

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
much of this has to do with the old school design Yaesu uses in many of their ham products of putting firmware in ROM rather than flash RAM.

A long standing issue exists with the tone decode logic on the FT-8800R, the tone/DCS decode often falses. Yaesu's attitude is basically "yeah, we're aware of it. Sorry". The 8800R has been out since 2003, mine was made in 2005, and comparing it to a 2010 build, this problem still exists. Unacceptable. It's 2011, modern computer controlled radios rely on stable firmware, there is no reason to not make uplifts a production.

This is one of the reasons I chose a Kenwood TM-V71A as a second radio for the house last year. Kenwood at least does a better job of supporting their radios, even putting free firmware updates for it on their support site. The V71A, unlike the 8800R, uses flash memory for firmware making bug fixing an easy process.

dirob

Thanks for the response

I also have an FT-8900R with some bugs that get the same response from Yaesu, "so sorry". If the cross band mode is not dissabled prior to shutting off the radio locks into transmit the next time it is turned on. I think it would melt before shutting down. This bug is probably part of the bad press cross banding receives. If cross band is turned off while the radio is receiving only static is transmitted until someone complains loudly. Kenwood will certainly be my next radio, kinda looking at the 710, love that remote control cross band.

KJ6EPE

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I also have an FT-8900R with some bugs that get the same response from Yaesu, "so sorry". If the cross band mode is not dissabled prior to shutting off the radio locks into transmit the next time it is turned on. I think it would melt before shutting down. This bug is probably part of the bad press cross banding receives. If cross band is turned off while the radio is receiving only static is transmitted until someone complains loudly. Kenwood will certainly be my next radio, kinda looking at the 710, love that remote control cross band.

KJ6EPE

Forgot about that bug of the open squelch after crossband enabled and power off back on. Another firmware problem that Yaesu refuses to fix. It's too bad, they make some really cool products, I've got a VX-6R and I think it's one of the best small HT's on the market, certainly better than any of that cheap plastic WouDUNG stuff from China, but the 8800/8900 have some problems that could easily be remedied IF the rigs had firmware in EEPROM.

fineshot1

For the very same reasons above i stopped purchasing yaesu gear many years
ago(last radio was a FT-727R), not so much for the bugs but more due to the
attitude from the yaesu service managers when you asked them to fix these
problems and they stated they could not, mostly due to some service policy
coming from the japan hq staff. I also have had problems with the commercial
(vertex) side of their business as well, much of the same attitude and also a
lack of cooperation and support.

Switched long ago to icom & kenwood and never looked back.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
ditto that. Yaesu USA's service is deplorable. Went rounds with Chip Margelli back in 2006, bought a new VX150 that had problems within the 1st month, bad speaker, bad battery (cheap Chinese cells), memory overwrite problems. They refused to replace it, boogered it up (looked like some 6th grader had pried the radio apart, screws missing. Keep in mind this was a stock, nearly new unit when it was sent in).

After spending close to 30 bucks in shipping 3 times, Chip said he was going to send me a check to cover the shipping as a measure of goodwill. Never showed up. Ended up selling that VX150, which was made in ChINA, not JAPAN like the earlier VX150's I owned which were trouble free (should have held onto those). Now the FT-60 is made in China, so watch out.

The local Vertex manufacturers' rep is a liar. Our club was referred to him to purchase a low split VXR7000 to replace our club repeater. We were told by Cerritos that there were 23 in stock. The rep quoted us a price, we came back with a certified check in hand the next day, then he back peddled and said "they were out of stock." Not believing that Vertex would sell all 23 VXR's in 24 hours, I pulled out my cell and called them standing right there. Sure enough, 23 in stock. Mr. Pants of Fire then said "I can't sell it to you for what I quoted because I won't make any money." WTF? Why did you quote it then? Complained to Vertex and they did step up and allowed our club to open an account to order it directly from them.

it took 2 tries to get that part right. First time they sent us a high split version. Back it went, 2nd time was the charm.

Don't get me wrong they make some good stuff, but they suck in the service and support department. Explains why they don't sell too many around here (Atlanta). Kenwood and Icom, OTOH, are everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.