• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Vxd-720 digital radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris-KH2PM

Premium Subscriber

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It's the same as the MotoTrbo radios. In fact, if you read through the FCC certification documents submitted by Vertex, there is even a letter from Motorola that allows Vertex to use the documentation used by Motorola for submission of their radio. It says something on the bottom about it being identical to the Motorola radio electrically.

Chris-KH2PM

Premium Subscriber
VXD/XPR handheld differences

Just curious, is the programming cable the same that can be used on the mototrbo/apx radios?

The programming cable is CT-155, unique to the VXD-720, and cost about $50. The XPR cable will not
work. The external speaker/microphone is MH-66 A7A, which fortunately is interchangeable with a few other Vertex radios, so it should be easier to find. Again, an XPR speaker mic will not attach to the VXD-720.

I don't have an XPR series Motorola HT to compare with my VXD-720. From what I can tell looking at pictures of the side accessory connectors, the Motorola XPR has a tab at the top and a locking screw at the bottom of the connector. My Vertex has two screws, no tab. Therefore it appears that the programming cable, and any other accessories such as microphones, are not interchangeable between the VXD and the XPR, which has me baffled. Typically Motorola is pretty good about using standard accessory connectors.

The batteries appear to be identical though, which is good, as I hope to find some Impres batteries and charger at the Dayton Hamvention. The Vertex supplied battery is only 1300 mAh and barely gets through the day.

The antenna uses a standard SMA jack, so the XPR antenna and VXD antennas are interchangeable, as are many past Motorola series HT antennas.

FastusBirdus

anyone know where to get the cloning software for the vxd-720? its no longer listed in the vertex dig radio site.

Yeah... what's up with that!?!?

I've got the latest version installed, and did so only recently. It must have just disappeared in the last week or two.

Maybe/hopefully a new version coming out. With the VXD 720 being disco'd though, you've got to wonder.

The CE 2.5 is really just a "Lite" version of the Mototrbo CPS. It's sure be nice if CPS would support the VXDs, but it currently does not.

VSTech

VXD-720 Software

businessonline.vertexstandard.com

Resource Center>Resource Center>Technical Information>VXD-Digital Series>Programming
Tuner Software 62MB download

Status
Not open for further replies.