• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

VXR-1000 Programming and cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

redmtnex

Hi All. I have two vxr-1000's that I need to program. I have searched and searched for info on building s programing cable with grey results. I have the CE-22 software for windows. Every cable I have attempted to put together fails with a timeout error. Guess what I need is the correct pinout to the microphone plug to a usb ftdi or serial port.

radiotweester

This is covered in other threads, but like all Vertex radios - try clicking [read] in the software then powering up the VXR. You might need to mess with your timing of doing this.
The cable should be the standard mic cable (RJ45 data pin 1, ground pin 4).
I've used the CT-42 (stereo plug) and adapted it as needed. The ADMS (for HAM) works well too. Even the old RS scanner programmer will work in a pinch. I THINK data is the center ring of the stereo plug, but I don't have it in front of me and ground is frame ground.
I'd recommend serial not a usb adapter, though usb should work as Com 1.

Last edited:

redmtnex

This is covered in other threads, but like all Vertex radios - try clicking [read] in the software then powering up the VXR. You might need to mess with your timing of doing this.
The cable should be the standard mic cable (RJ45 data pin 1, ground pin 4).
I've used the CT-42 (stereo plug) and adapted it as needed. The ADMS (for HAM) works well too. Even the old RS scanner programmer will work in a pinch. I THINK data is the center ring of the stereo plug, but I don't have it in front of me and ground is frame ground.
I'd recommend serial not a usb adapter, though usb should work as Com 1.

Thanks for that info. Still no luck though. I have been trying this with a usb device. will switch to a serial cable instead

radiotweester

You might try changing the program's compatibility to XP or just use an older computer. Win 10 doesn't seem to like playing nice with a lot of radio programs

redmtnex

Found this on two different web sites, so if 1 is data and 4 is ground then this chart (1 data - 5 ground) is incorrect?

redmtnex

You might try changing the program's compatibility to XP or just use an older computer. Win 10 doesn't seem to like playing nice with a lot of radio programs

Thanks I will try that. I am still doubting my pinout though. I found one chart on two different web sites that list the microphone pinout as follows. 1-fast, 2-ground, 3-ptt, 4-mic, 5-mic earth, 6-+5V, 7-up, 8-dwn.

radiotweester

Disregard my reply #7 w/o pics - I timed out and can't edit it.
I had to consult the SM. I had the vx4200 in mind. I've blue dotted the data and ground.
It would not surprise me if the the SM might be in error. This was the case with the HDB15 on the back of the 4200... It's reversed!
I would try tab down, gold pins up, wire entry towards you, 1st pin on the left data 4th pin from the left as ground. If this doesn't work, try the pin farthest to the right as data and leave the ground line in place.

Attachments

• vx1000.JPG
    vx1000.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 10
  • vx4200.JPG
    vx4200.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

redmtnex

I had to consult the SM. I had the vx4200 in mind. I've blue dotted the data and ground.
It would not surprise me if the the SM might be in error. This was the case with the HDB15 on the back of the 4200... It's reversed!
I would try tab down, gold pins up, wire entry towards you, 1st pin on the left data 4th pin from the left as ground. If this doesn't work, try the pin farthest to the right as data and leave the ground line in place.

Thanks. Might be a couple of days before I can work on it. Will post back with my results.

redmtnex

OK still no luck with my usb ftdi dongle. I am wondering if my usb dongle has a problem. The image for the vx1000 is exactly the same as for the vxr-1000 via the vxr-1000 service manual. So I am wondering if I need actually 3 connections and not 2 IE just TX and Ground. This weekend I will attempt to build a serial rs232 cable. That brings up the question as to which pins on the serial I connect. If just two? 3txd to 8 clone, and 5 ground to 5 ground?

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Never played with those, but I see pin 7 is CL SW (clone switch?). Maybe that needs to be asserted to put it into clone mode?

redmtnex

No happiness with rs-232. I can see two scenarios being a problem. 1- the software. 2- the OS. You can no longer degrade to Win XP in Win 10, only to Win 7. I do have a Win XP machine and as time permits will try it.

radiotweester

OK still no luck with my usb ftdi dongle. I am wondering if my usb dongle has a problem. The image for the vx1000 is exactly the same as for the vxr-1000 via the vxr-1000 service manual. So I am wondering if I need actually 3 connections and not 2 IE just TX and Ground. This weekend I will attempt to build a serial rs232 cable. That brings up the question as to which pins on the serial I connect. If just two? 3txd to 8 clone, and 5 ground to 5 ground?

View attachment 78220
You're aware this is NOT a direct RS-232 connection! You need that little interface/converter board that's in the backshell of the DB-9.

Status
Not open for further replies.