• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

VXR-7000 Programming issue and question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, everyone,

I have a VXR-7000 running version 1.19 (or 1.18, I'll have to look again to make sure). I want to set the receive frequency to 447.975 and the transmit to 442.975, but whenever I upload it to the repeater, it flips them around. I'm using CE27Win 1.08 to do this. So, my questions are is this typical of the repeater to push a +5MHz offset instead of letting you set a -5MHz offset? (In other words, I'm I stuck with the lower receive frequency'higher transmit frequency)?

It also resets the RX adjustments and TX adjustments. And I've been using dealer mode to set it up. One more question. If I have to use the DOS version of the program, will it recognize the COM Port that my USB cable is on?

Also, am I using the correct version of the software for the firmware that I have?

Thanks, and have a great day. :)
Patrick.

radiotweester

Windows version you have is right. Try the /m like I said in the other post. I don't have a repeater in front of me, but the program doesn't seem to try to correct them.
Dumb question, but are you using the correct band split fot HAM or trying to bring a commercial 450 down to HAM? If it's the latter, changing the TX and RX adjustments allow programming the freqs, but make sure you actually calibrate using a monitor (I say this not knowing your experience). 73s

Last edited:
Windows version you have is right. Try the /m like I said in the other post. I don't have a repeater in front of me, but the program doesn't seem to try to correct them.
Dumb question, but are you using the correct band split fot HAM or trying to bring a commercial 450 down to HAM? If it's the latter, changing the TX and RX adjustments allow programming the freqs, but make sure you actually calibrate using a monitor (I say this not knowing your experience). 73s

Hi, there,

Yes, the repeater was a commercial one (I'm guessing since the TX adjustment was 455 to 480). The person who's actually building the repeater has plenty of equipment and experience in calibrating it. He has the duplexers already calibrated for the frequencies we are going to use.

I'll try the /m (or -m in my case) this afternoon. Can you tell me exactly what mode that is (and what modes are available)? Until I found this forum, I'd only heard of the /d (-d) dealer mode, which we had to use to get a blank code plug for the radio.

Thanks, and have a great day. :)
Patrick.

radiotweester

/m is ALL access. "manufacturer" mode. I tried the space /m on a windows 7 OS
the -d use to be used as "dealer" mode in DOS and would allow CW ID access
*Don't use a blank or default codeplug, read the radio, save as, then edit that read file, save as a different name and then write it back to the radio. Pretty much the rule with Vertex and Motorola.

So, let me say that we figured out the programming problem. And I hate Vertex Standard (not really, but whoever designed the program needs to have their computer smashed). On 99% of the software that I use, "Download" is coming from the device to the computer, and "Upload" is going from the computer to the device. After about 30 minutes of "I screwed this up, and don't know why", I figured out that whoever designed CE27Win configured those backward. So, we were able to upload our code plug to the radio (or Download as the case may be).

Now, we're working on getting the repeater to talk to the controller, and thus Brandmeister.

Thank you for all of your help with this, and have a great day. :)
Patrick.

radiotweester

So, let me say that we figured out the programming problem. And I hate Vertex Standard (not really, but whoever designed the program needs to have their computer smashed). On 99% of the software that I use, "Download" is coming from the device to the computer, and "Upload" is going from the computer to the device. After about 30 minutes of "I screwed this up, and don't know why", I figured out that whoever designed CE27Win configured those backward. So, we were able to upload our code plug to the radio (or Download as the case may be).

Now, we're working on getting the repeater to talk to the controller, and thus Brandmeister.

Thank you for all of your help with this, and have a great day. :)
Patrick.

Glad you found the problem! I didn't even think to ask if you had the toolbar showing. For others reading [View] -> [Toolbar]. SO MUCH easier with the graphic showing an in and out.

Just curious... How does an FM repeater talk to Brandmeister?

Hi, Chief21,

So the repeater sends the data as audio to an external controller, which is an MMDVM modem mounted on a Raspberry Pi. The modem converts it to data and sends the information to Brandmeister's network. Anything coming back from Brandmeister goes through the same process in reverse.

Now, the bad news. The radio we have has such a horrible receiver in it, that it can't decode the data. So, we're forced to look for another radio.

Have a great day. :)
Patrick.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
The modem converts it to data and sends the information to Brandmeister's network. Anything coming back from Brandmeister goes through the same process in reverse.

Hi Patrick -

I get that the modem can convert the radio audio to digital for feeding the internet connection. But a DMR radio uses TDMA modulation, time slots and a specific protocol. Will a standard FM transmitter work with the MMDVM modem to successfully transmit a compliant DMR signal?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Hi Patrick -

I get that the modem can convert the radio audio to digital for feeding the internet connection. But a DMR radio uses TDMA modulation, time slots and a specific protocol. Will a standard FM transmitter work with the MMDVM modem to successfully transmit a compliant DMR signal?

While subscriber radios do rapidly key and unkey, DMR repeaters continuously transmit, even if only one timeslot is being used. Yes a FM transmitter will transmit a compliant DMR signal using a MMDVM modem. The only requirement is it is a FM transmitter and not a PM(lots of ham gear uses PM rather than FM) transmitter.

N0UUS

Does anyone have a standard load for the uhf 450-480? I have a 2nd repeater that was tweaked to the ham band some and I want to bring it back. There was a table someone had earlier(not sure if it was a before or after), but I'm looking for this table for the stock version so I can at least get it back closer.

Attachments

• table.png
    table.png
    47.1 KB · Views: 31

N0UUS

Thanks.. I actually set them the same as my other UHF repeater and it seems to work fine, or close enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.