• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Nextgentow88

Premium Subscriber
First time posting on the forum hello all im having a little trouble i hope someone can point me in the right direction im trying to connect my vertex vxr-9000u repeater to a trident raider ii extreme controller with a db25 cable with breakout board connectors on each end.

This is my first time doing this and it seems straight foward in the raider manual but the verywx manual is a little confusing. They word the connections very differently with abbreviations i dont know. I have both manuals if you need to see them, ill try to attach the pages here.
I tried to match up the pins on each side but im not doing it right.

From what i seen if its connected correctly only 2 led lights should be on power and sync until the repeater is keyed up, well all my lights are on solid except yellow receive is off, and talk and listen are blinking constantly but dim.

sorry for the rambling just trying to be detailed as possible please someone help ive been at this for a while thanks in advance mike m

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
OK. Lets start simple. Radio disconnected and works fine ? If you plug in the Trident with nothing connected you should have Power Light and possibly the synch blinking no others.

You should have minimal connections.

PTT - Push to Talk (Controller will Key the Repeater on this Pin)
COR - Carrier Operated Squelch (Repeater will receive and tell controller it is receiving)
Ground - Both Radio and Repeater need connected
Mic High/TX Audio - This is the Audio from the controller to the repeater
RX Audio/Discriminator - This is the Audio from the Repeater to the controller.

Some of this may need programmed in the VXR. Its been some time since I've touched a Vertex. The controller will also have jumpers for PTT and COR for Active High or Active Low.

Nextgentow88

Premium Subscriber
yes radio is fine disconnected. Thanks a lot man its a start.

Thing is the way its labeled in the manuals is so weird theres no COR or Carrier Operated Squelch
Theres Discriminator its just labeled where i dont know the abbreviations

What was messing with me to is the tx data it has a high and low im not sure which of these topin

im posting the manual pages here.
If you or anyone can have a look at them and tell me pin number for number each side Thanks very much

Attachments

• vxr-9000 pg3.pdf
    135.5 KB · Views: 11
  • vxr-9000 pg-4.pdf
    124.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Raider II Extreme-pg9.pdf
    181.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Raider II Extreme-pg10.pdf
    167.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Nextgentow88

Premium Subscriber
funny thing is thats exactly how i had it wired to begin with except for pin 5 on the raider i had going to pin 24 on the vxr9000 let me switch those and see if that fixes it i also programmed the vertex to allow external control on startup functions thanks for the help

nope same thing i dont get it maybe its the dip switches thats the problem?

Attachments

• raider leds front.jpg
    raider leds front.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 12
  • raider leds front (2).jpg
    raider leds front (2).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 13
  • raider dip switches.jpg
    raider dip switches.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 13
  • raider dip switches(2).jpg
    raider dip switches(2).jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Nextgentow88

Premium Subscriber
i also tried a regular raider this morning that i had put away without passport and still the same thing except for the receive light its off like the extreme but when i key up the repeater the receive light goes on solid until i let go

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
My guess is your COR is not correct. Either its High or Low. But it shows its receiving and the controller is transmitting. I dont recall if those are dip switch or programming in the Raider. There should also be programming in the repeater for high or low on RX/COR

Nextgentow88

Premium Subscriber
yea i cant figure it out the carrier an transmit stay on solid too its crazy i have 3 controllers here 2 raider extreme and 1 regular raider i tried all of them just to makesure its not a hardware issue the extremes were actually brand new and they all doing pretty much the same thing so to me it has to be the wiring or something in the repeater im missing.

I have to get it to where only power and sync are lit up until the repeater is keyed everything else should be off

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
You need to log into the controller with a serial emulator and check the settings. You then need to verify if the repeater is using active high or active low for the COR/RX trigger. All of this can be done without either hooked up. Read the repeater and show us how the accessory connector is setup.

Nextgentow88

Premium Subscriber
ok let me give that a shot Well that definitely turned off the receive light but its not coming on even when i key the repeater.

at least its off thats a start thanks a bunch @jeepsandradios

Last edited:

Nextgentow88

Premium Subscriber
LOOK what i found on the last page of the manual that it never mentions on the first diagrams
From what i see there has to be a negative drain on pins 3 and 5 but im not sure if its both pins because theres a dashed line next to pin 3 only meaning mechanical connection? But theres a circle around both?

im going to try this ill let you know if it works it im shocked they would leave that part out of the setup portion!

Attachments

• LAST PAGE RAIDER.pdf
    25.2 KB · Views: 16

kf8yk

Looking at the VXR manual you need a wire from Pin 11 (Active Low / NSO Detect) to Pin 2 on the Raider (EXT RDD In). That should suffice the carrier light that is steady.

RDD is not COR. The RDD pin is only used if you need external logic to lock out this channel due to frequency sharing issues or there's a community repeater panel wired up in parallel to this LTR controller.

The Trident panel has internal noise squelch and tone/data decoders, just feed it discriminator audio, there's no need for a COR signal.

The Trident panel is not just plug & play, you need to verify every dip switch and jumper and all the level pots need aligned with a service monitor.

Nextgentow88

Premium Subscriber
man this blows the manual has detailed setup info even programming side of repeater for a whole bunch of repeaters but not mine i can only go by there generic repeater instructions and i set those dip switches accordingly. idk what is the problem but im close to giving up!
The vxr9000 has no settings in the programming software for the db25 connector it only has remote control on or off option on power up i set that to on.

Mikey69

Nextgentow88 - I stumbled across this discussion as I was looking for info on the Raider Extreme...​

What's the chance that I could get a copy of the manual PDF? Thanks in advance.​