W3GJS listening cabinet project

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
I decided to venture out and consolidate all my scanners and radios in a computer server rack instead of just sitting on my dresser. I've seen various projects on the Internet using anything from large server racks to Troy console setups used on desks and figured I'd give it a go. I started pricing out the 2U panels for mounting scanners and radios and was looking at outrageous prices for something I knew I would not be satisfied with because it would be too cookie cutter-looking to me so I started looking around for local shops that did water jet cutting and found a shop only 25 minutes from me. After some phone tag back and forth with the owner, I was able to set up a time to visit the shop and talk with the water jet operator to go over my drawing/idea/design and see what we could come up with.

While I waited for the time to come to visit the shop, I made a 1:1 paper design of the cabinet mounting panel to give the water jet operator an idea of what I had in mind. The layout from top to bottom is laid out as such: 8 scanners (4x2), 2 CDM for amateur radio (VHF/UHF) (1x2), a hole for coax from my Alpha Delta coax switch to route, the Alpha Delta switch will be flush mounted below the hole, and finally at the bottom 9 rectangular speakers (3x3) for the scanners and one for a portable I will have for monitoring a TRS. The panel is 18U tall leaving 4U of space which is perfect for a shelf to set my HF radio (Xiegu G90) on and whatever else I want at the top of the cabinet.

Finally the day came and I went to the shop and spent three hours directly involved in the custom design of the panel. The operator was going to finalize the design of the brackets that would be cut out and bent for the L brackets mounted to the panel and to the side of the scanners, radios, and speakers. He messaged me and said he did a dry run cut on wood panel and had to tweak a few things with the two CDM radios and the speaker angles but he would have the panel for me to pick up to verify the mounting slots would line up in the cabinet. I got home and verified the mounting holes lined up and dry fitted my scanners, radios, and speakers in the holes and verified everything fit beautifully. Next step is metal cutting.

The server cabinet is a 22U enclosed unit on wheels purchased locally from a gentleman on Facebook (all about keeping it local if possible). The scanners are Uniden BCT15X (x3), Uniden BCD996P2 (x2), and two GREs which I hope to swap out to Uniden's in the future. The two radios are Motorola CDM1250's (VHF and UHF). The antenna switch is an Alpha Delta DELTA-2 N connector coax switch. The switch powers an 8-port Stidsberg multicoupler MCD208M (BNC model) for the scanners and a Comet CF-416 Duplexer for the CDMs. The speakers are eBay no-name speaker that work perfectly for my scanners and noise level in my room. The antenna is a Diamond X50CN VHF/UHF fed to the antenna switch with LMR400 coax.

Attachments

• IMG_1279 2 (1).jpeg
    IMG_1279 2 (1).jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_1377 (1).jpeg
    IMG_1377 (1).jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_1390 (1).jpeg
    IMG_1390 (1).jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_1394 (1).jpeg
    IMG_1394 (1).jpeg
    66.4 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_1402 (1).jpeg
    IMG_1402 (1).jpeg
    76.4 KB · Views: 303

N9JIG

Sheriff
Looks great, I like the planning involved.

See some of my pics and videos for some hints and tricks when I did a similar project:

There are more as well

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
I used picture of your cabinet for ideas and inspiration but ultimately wanted a custom piece with the scanners mounted closer together so I wasn’t wasting space horizontally between them.

Looks great, I like the planning involved.

See some of my pics and videos for some hints and tricks when I did a similar project:

There are more as well

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
Layout finalized with the jet operator. He had cut a speaker bracket out prior to my arrival to verify it would fit properly. That’s why there’s a hole in the middle of the plate in the video. Cutting in progress at time of this post. The bracket parts will be tossed in a tumbler to remove sharp edges after they are cut.

Attachments

• ACF99F68-62B6-4D55-9828-52F14D768119.jpeg
    ACF99F68-62B6-4D55-9828-52F14D768119.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 87

N9JIG

Sheriff
What material is the panel made of? I assume it is fairly thick and sturdy as it is going to support a fair amount of weight. I had considered having panels made for my large cabinet for the scanners but I could not find a local shop that could do this.

Are you going to powder coat or paint the panel after cutting?

I like the DIN Sleeve mounting myself and have both my smaller cabinets using the method now (see my upcoming post that I have planned for this weekend after a few tweaks) as there is less hardware. I like the fact that you only need to see two screws per radio, the JottoDesk faceplates I used to use resulted in a ton of hardware visible.

It is going to look great!

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
Steel. It will be powder coated when it is done being cut.

What material is the panel made of? I assume it is fairly thick and sturdy as it is going to support a fair amount of weight. I had considered having panels made for my large cabinet for the scanners but I could not find a local shop that could do this.

Are you going to powder coat or paint the panel after cutting?

I like the DIN Sleeve mounting myself and have both my smaller cabinets using the method now (see my upcoming post that I have planned for this weekend after a few tweaks) as there is less hardware. I like the fact that you only need to see two screws per radio, the JottoDesk faceplates I used to use resulted in a ton of hardware visible.

It is going to look great!

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
Cutting is complete. The brackets will be bent at a 90° angle at the little notch. The panel looks beautiful. After the brackets are bent, next step is powder coating.

Attachments

• C6476936-66CE-481F-883C-9E8F81B043C7.jpeg
    C6476936-66CE-481F-883C-9E8F81B043C7.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 3186919C-C427-411F-A797-F9B352F99E9C.jpeg
    3186919C-C427-411F-A797-F9B352F99E9C.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 85

Turner101

Premium Subscriber
Can’t wait to see the finished project especially the wiring!

I need something almost 100% like this just about half as many spots

how much did it cost for you to get that plate made?

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
I used a local company in central PA for design, material, cutting, and a separate local company for powder coating and I have less than $200 in materials and coating. Local hardware shop provides the nuts and bolts.

Using local companies really helped business. I figured if I would have bought panels online, i would have over $1300 just in panels and it would not have been anything like I wanted.

Can’t wait to see the finished project especially the wiring!

I need something almost 100% like this just about half as many spots

how much did it cost for you to get that plate made?

radio3353

On no! You need to put something between the socket and panel when tightening those bolts. You have already scratched the front panel. But otherwise, nice setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.