• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

W6LVP Loop

ILSAPP

Hi Lino,

Do you consider that is one of the best antennas you already had for long-distant HF aero monitoring?
I'm looking for that loop for a long time but never pulled the trigger because I did not know if it's worth the investment for my main purpose.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
I am awaiting mine too. After months of shopping for a loop antenna this one had great reviews. I plan to try it in- and outdoors for winter LF/MW/HF listening.

TailGator911

Premium Subscriber
I have one sitting here in the box waiting to be installed. Will be doing that this weekend as well as adding more wire to my end-fed PAR antenna. My loop took just over a week to get here (10 days I believe) and the shipping was free. Looks easy enough to assemble. I, too, heard many good things and read good reviews on this HF antenna. I decided to try it after I went to an online SDR site (live) and was very disappointed after trying to chase the signals they were receiving with my radios and came up way short. I am hoping this loop, and my redo of the PAR wire, will give me better results. I am mounting my loop on a heavy duty speaker stand just outside my radio room window and the feed line will go to my Icom R8600 and Icom R75 via an hf antenna splitter. I am anxious to get this antenna project going - come on Saturday!

JD
kf4anc

Turbo68

Okay let start by saying that i had the first wellbrook ala1530 when it came out and at one stage had 4 of the active loops problem was it was a pain to get the right height distance and there was no other manufucture making loops at that time main intrest for me is monitoring the hf aero bands only very happy with the purchase also got the cross country wirless hf active vee antenna on the way will see how it compares..

Regards Lino..

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As I understand it, the Wellbrooks have more gain and a somewhat lower noise floor - in fact, I think they announced this very fact a few weeks back. But keep in mind that gain isn't the only factor here.

Cost comes into play here, too. The Wellbrooks can get rather pricey when you factor in additional shipping fees and customs. Not so with American made loops (for US listeners, anyway) such as the W6LVP and MFJ models.

Mike

Turbo68

I still got the original wellbrook ala1530 and i use it when i go away for portable work in my opinion the W6LVP loop is way better i had the wellbrook ala 330 that was high gain and was crap use to pick more noise then any of my other hf antenna..

Regards Lino...

prcguy

One of mine is on the house roof with an old AR-22XL rotor. The null is very sharp and I rarely have to turn it so I usually leave it favoring east and west. If I need to null an AM BCB station or noise at VLF I might turn it.

My plan is to eventually mount a rotor to turn it remotely, probably using an inexpensive rotor. Anyone doing this?