W6LVP Loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDRPlayer

Premium Subscriber
Lino, could you give me ball park figure on the postage cost and time it took to get to you? This antenna is looking like a serious prospect for me.

ILSAPP

Hi Lino,

Do you consider that is one of the best antennas you already had for long-distant HF aero monitoring?
I'm looking for that loop for a long time but never pulled the trigger because I did not know if it's worth the investment for my main purpose.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
I am awaiting mine too. After months of shopping for a loop antenna this one had great reviews. I plan to try it in- and outdoors for winter LF/MW/HF listening.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I have one sitting here in the box waiting to be installed. Will be doing that this weekend as well as adding more wire to my end-fed PAR antenna. My loop took just over a week to get here (10 days I believe) and the shipping was free. Looks easy enough to assemble. I, too, heard many good things and read good reviews on this HF antenna. I decided to try it after I went to an online SDR site (live) and was very disappointed after trying to chase the signals they were receiving with my radios and came up way short. I am hoping this loop, and my redo of the PAR wire, will give me better results. I am mounting my loop on a heavy duty speaker stand just outside my radio room window and the feed line will go to my Icom R8600 and Icom R75 via an hf antenna splitter. I am anxious to get this antenna project going - come on Saturday!

JD
kf4anc

Turbo68

Okay let start by saying that i had the first wellbrook ala1530 when it came out and at one stage had 4 of the active loops problem was it was a pain to get the right height distance and there was no other manufucture making loops at that time main intrest for me is monitoring the hf aero bands only very happy with the purchase also got the cross country wirless hf active vee antenna on the way will see how it compares..

Regards Lino..

Last edited:

ILSAPP

Please keep us posted about your findings (also very interested in HF aero comms).

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As I understand it, the Wellbrooks have more gain and a somewhat lower noise floor - in fact, I think they announced this very fact a few weeks back. But keep in mind that gain isn't the only factor here.

Cost comes into play here, too. The Wellbrooks can get rather pricey when you factor in additional shipping fees and customs. Not so with American made loops (for US listeners, anyway) such as the W6LVP and MFJ models.

Mike

spongella

Premium Subscriber
My plan is to eventually mount a rotor to turn it remotely, probably using an inexpensive rotor. Anyone doing this?

Turbo68

I still got the original wellbrook ala1530 and i use it when i go away for portable work in my opinion the W6LVP loop is way better i had the wellbrook ala 330 that was high gain and was crap use to pick more noise then any of my other hf antenna..

Regards Lino...

prcguy

One of mine is on the house roof with an old AR-22XL rotor. The null is very sharp and I rarely have to turn it so I usually leave it favoring east and west. If I need to null an AM BCB station or noise at VLF I might turn it.

My plan is to eventually mount a rotor to turn it remotely, probably using an inexpensive rotor. Anyone doing this?

spongella

Premium Subscriber
My W6LVP is now up using a RCA rotor, so far for the most part it receives as well as my 31 foot vertical. For LF and Medium Wave it's better than the vertical'cause you can rotate it. So far am very pleased, but am looking forward to the winter to do some serious evaluation.

Attachments

• IMG_0566.JPG
    IMG_0566.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 57

prcguy

Is that a metal or plastic rain gutter behind and above the loop? If its metal you know what my next post will be.

My W6LVP is now up using a RCA rotor, so far for the most part it receives as well as my 31 foot vertical. For LF and Medium Wave it's better than the vertical'cause you can rotate it. So far am very pleased, but am looking forward to the winter to do some serious evaluation.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
In addition to being as far away from the house, don't put it too close to the vertical. You want to avoid the chance of it interacting with it, mostly on the higher HF frequencies....and also to avoid any incidental RF from the vertical when you transmit (unless you have the T/R switch option...)Mike

prcguy

My W6LVP loop is about 20ft away from a 133ft OCFD that runs full legal limit. I questioned Larry about this and he says no problem, his own active loop is closer to his transmit antenna than mine. Apparently the preamp is not bothered by reasonable high power and it will saturate, limiting the power sent to the receiver to a safe level.

In addition to being as far away from the house, don't put it too close to the vertical. You want to avoid the chance of it interacting with it, mostly on the higher HF frequencies....and also to avoid any incidental RF from the vertical when you transmit (unless you have the T/R switch option...)Mike

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Vinyl siding. Gutters = metal. That was the most convenient spot to place it as a start. Could be moved around if necessary. Vertical antenna is fiberglass with only wire running up it, about 10 feet away. For it's size the loop works satisfactorily. Thanks for all the comments.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
After a couple of tryouts and experiments I ended up getting the Yaesu G-450A antenna rotor for my loop, have it mounted to a heavy duty loudspeaker tripod about 12 feet from the coax feed tube into my room. I also employed 3 small guy wires of sorts which are connected to the tripod to spiral spikes about 18-inches deep. It is solid and has already withstood some brisk winds the other night. Loving the loop on my R8600. What a radio!

All of my antenna farm maintenance is finished. Bring it on, Old Man Winter.

JD
kf4anc

Status
Not open for further replies.