W6ro

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeonDeGamme

I live in Long Beach and was interested to learn that there is a Ham radio station operating out of the Queen Mary ship a few miles from me. I have no idea how Ham radio works and was wondering if I could pick up the transmissions from my pro-82? I have no idea if its possible or how to do it if it is. Is there I frequency I am supposed to go to? Here is a link to their website. http://www.mpicomputers.com/ham/queen/

Thanks for your help.

LeonDeGamme

anyone know how to receive transmissions from a ham radio station? do you have to know the frequency or do the other ham operators know how to look for it by the call sign?

K3GI

W6RO operates on the HF bands. I've worked it on 20 meters and have their QSL card. With the exception of a small sliver of the 10 meter band, your Pro-82 only receives in the VHF/UHF bands. You can monitor some ham activity such as the 2-meter band (144-148 mhz) and the 440 mhz ham band (440-450 mhz for FM activity). It's possible that W6RO may use those bands for short-range contacts, but most of their activity will be on the HF bands.

Check out www.arrl.org for infomration on ham radio and frequencies used. Try searching the 2-meter band, and I'm sure you will find some local 2-meter activity. Have fun.

Lee, K3GI

Status
Not open for further replies.