W8CMN DMR & the rest of the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryancousins

I am new to DMR and I don't quite understand how the Brandmeister and DMR-Marc networks link into local repeaters, not talking about hotspots. I have some of the W8CMN/Mi5 repeaters and local talkgroups programmed into my radio and that's all fine, but based on the Mi5 call history page I assume I can link into other non-Mi5 talkgroups? Is the W8CMN network MARC or BM or can it link to both? If it's a MARC network doesn't that mean the owner chooses which outside TGs can be used? On the W8CMN webpage it lists the local talkgroup IDs (ie. 51,52,etc.) but most of those have a BM talkgroup listed also (ie. 21261,21262) so I assume that's how people from the outside can link in? That would make me think it's part of the BM network, but if that were the case, I assume all of the call history and live audio would be available on the BM site, and it's not.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Based on what I found in the link I would say that MI5 is neither DMR-Marc nor Brandmeister, but a network of their own with a link to DMR-Marc at least as stated in the link. Likely best and quickest information is from someone on the local repeater. Looking at W8CMN website my impression of a statewide TG for each timeslot and no others listed looks like not much interest on their part to connect from inside the state to outside. In their mission statement an implication to communicate "beyond", but lacking in specific details.

I found you question interesting enough for a little research on my part, but outside of MI in TX not really that much help. While I've had a DMR radio for awhile and have mastered local repeaters, linking via the local repeater or my hotspot to the beyond has been uphill and continues...
Good Luck!
Mike

"Our main goal is to have a reliable system to talk on and for every one to enjoy and use, that covers Michigan and beyond. Please use the system, it’s there for everyone to enjoy."

bchappuie

What I have seen with my local repeater, is that time slot 2 is mapped to BM, and you can select any BM talk Group and it will hook up. There is a timeout set to release it after some time with no recieve. So I can do world wide TG for a while, then wait a couple minutes and select the US TG.
All of the Mi5 site look linked to Brandmeister, so they will pass whatever talkgroup you use. 91 is world wide and busy and 3100 is a US busy talk group.

mikey60

The MI5 Network was linked to DMR-MARC at one point. The only link to Brandmeister is to allow access to the MI5 system from outside the area (i.e. hotspots). They delinked from DMR-MARC a couple years ago. The network is primarily in state.

Mike

ryancousins

The MI5 Network was linked to DMR-MARC at one point. The only link to Brandmeister is to allow access to the MI5 system from outside the area (i.e. hotspots). They delinked from DMR-MARC a couple years ago. The network is primarily in state.

Mike
Thank you for the info!

w2xq

Mentor
As an outsider, I get to MI5-Statewide2 using my hotspot to access Brandmeister talkgroup 31262. I was told that 31262 was more active than Mi5-Statewide1/31261. Further, I was told the MI5-x and the two MI5-Eventx (1 and 3) talkgroups (31263 and 31265) were taken off DMR-MARC some time ago.

I don't know what happened to MI-Event2/31264 but it isn't on the August 17 Brandmeister listing.

Golay

It's my understanding that Mi5's primary function is public service. Skywarn, communications during wide area public events, that sort of thing.
It's true most of the comms are just hams ragchewing.
But anytime a portion of the state is under a severe weather watch, Mi5 becomes the link for the different counties RACES and ARES operations to the National Weather Service.
The system has (I'm guessing without looking) about 20 UHF DMR machines. Handhelds and mobiles can be programmed to roam between the repeaters. So you can drive from one end of the state to the other with your radio on roam, and never need to change channels between repeaters.

So being able to talk around the country or around the world is not a priority with that system.
Like I said, I believe the system was setup from the get go for statewide public service communications.

Last edited:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The Event groups (1-4) are not for general chatting and require special permission (Mi5-Sites-Talkgroups – w8cmn.net) for non event use. The MI5 group coordinates biking events and similar activities. When these take place a talk group may be unavailable in parts of the state (generally divided by east or west) as the computers software can control who hears what.

w8fsm

Feed Provider
heck no.. it's funner watching all these people post wrong or information not on topic..

ryancousins

heck no.. it's funner watching all these people post wrong or information not on topic..
Even though you are gaining amusement at apparently wrong or supposedly off-topic information, would you be willing to share with us what you believe to be wrong? I don’t see what incentive any of us would have to allow the spread of inaccurate information. I see the ham community as one of mutual kindness and altruism, rather than snarky quips . Just my two cents; no wish to upset or offend. I’m just here to ask (sometimes stupid) questions and learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.