WA4A QRP rigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka1njl

Very nice. They are well organized (especially the one on the left) and self contained. I often don't bring radios with me because I have to grab too many "things". You have solved that problem.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Can you explain what's in each pack? From what I can tell, you have the Z-817 tuner in the right pack along with an 817.

In the left pack, I see the 817 and another tuner (unknown model) and what appears to be a SignaLink USB audio interface. How is the mic panel connected in the lower left?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Looks great! What is the box on the left and what dealers carry them?

WA4A

Looks great! What is the box on the left and what dealers carry them?
Thanks, OM,
My two QRP rigs shown in the photo are an award winning Go-Box of my own design (left side) and a manpack version (right side) using MARS modified Yaesu FT817nd and FT818nd transceivers powered by on-board 12 Amp/hour LiFePO batteries. The Go-Box is constructed from a salvaged 1960s vintage Textronix equipment case and contains the FT817nd transceiver, LDG Z817 antenna tuner (no longer available) a 4:1 balun for extending the types of HF antennas I can use, a Signalink sound card interface for digital modes, a Palm Mini-paddle (no longer available) and an ATX Walkabout 80-6 meter adjustable whip antenna mounted on the rear of the case as well as an adjustable BNC VHF/UHF whip antenna and MFJ mobile loudspeaker. A custom control panel was fabricated from sheet steel and includes RJ45 jacks for the microphone and accessory and a master power switch and an aircraft style 24-hour analog clock. Front panel jacks also allow keyer or straight key and headset connections. An external power supply/charger input and 12-Volt accessory and USB computer connections are found on the rear panel along with RF output and balun/grounding jacks. On the right side of the case is a special bracket for a tri-band HT with military style handset. On the top is a special bracket for a high intensity clip light. The Go-Box can operate all modes on all 14 U.S. ham bands between 1.8 and 520 mHz except for FM voice only on the 222 mHz band. The rig is painted military olive drab and matches the similar manpack FT818nd/LDG Z817 transceiver/ tuner/battery combo shown in its Portable Zero Sherpa pack with frame and flip foot accessory. Various wire and loaded whip HF antennas are backpacked. Both rigs are loads of fun as pedestrian mobiles, field days, casual contesting or, as shown here, mountain topping from a senic overlook on Virginia's Blue Ridge Parkway! 73, DE WA4A

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Thanks, OM,
The Go-Box is constructed from a salvaged 1960s vintage Textronix equipment case and contains the FT817nd transceiver, LDG Z817 antenna tuner (no longer available) a 4:1 balun for extending the types of HF antennas I can use, a Signalink sound card interface for digital modes, a Palm Mini-paddle (no longer available) and an ATX Walkabout 80-6 meter adjustable whip antenna mounted on the rear of the case as well as an adjustable BNC VHF/UHF whip antenna and MFJ mobile loudspeaker. A custom control panel was fabricated from sheet steel and includes RJ45 jacks for the microphone and accessory and a master power switch and an aircraft style 24-hour analog clock. Front panel jacks also allow keyer or straight key and headset connections. An external power supply/charger input and 12-Volt accessory and USB computer connections are found on the rear panel along with RF output and balun/grounding jacks. On the right side of the case is a special bracket for a tri-band HT with military style handset. On the top is a special bracket for a high intensity clip light.

Very nice! Guess I need to reassess my own go-box plan. Right now I tote the 817ND and various necessities around in a Harbor Freight version of the Pelican case, which is nicely padded, secure and watertight, but means I still have to pull everything out and set it up. I'm liking the idea of "set it down, extend the antenna and go."

Tom WA8PYR

commscanaus

An award winning Go-Box
Easy to see why! That is outstanding!
Any ideas I had for my FT-817 are now out the window.
Really would like to construct a portable station like that.

Well done sir!

WA4A

Any idea what model that's from or what type of equipment?
The Tektronix Type III Pretrigger Pulse Generator and a couple of other similar models are still around and might be available on ebay. They are old vacuum tube units and must be gutted and reworked but amazingly, they fit the FT817/818 and all the accessories along with an SLA or LiFePO4 battery! I guess the bottom line is to "never throw anything away!" Haha.. I used simple hand tools along with an electric drill to do all the work. Needless to say, the little rig has been a labor of love and is always being upgraded!

Attachments

• index(9).jpg
    index(9).jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 20200802_001203.jpg
    20200802_001203.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 26

WA4A

Very nice! Guess I need to reassess my own go-box plan. Right now I tote the 817ND and various necessities around in a Harbor Freight version of the Pelican case, which is nicely padded, secure and watertight, but means I still have to pull everything out and set it up. I'm liking the idea of "set it down, extend the antenna and go."

Tom WA8PYR
What you are experiencing is exactly the reason I decided to rethink my "growing QRP problem" and find a "carry all" solution. I am really amazed that all the big equipment I had in racks for years can now be miniaturized into about one cubic foot of space for a 14 band, all mode ham rig that can go anywhere! Keep thinking and have fun!

WA4A

Nice setup for both, how much was the clock and where did you buy it from?
I purchased the clock and aircraft-type bezel on-line a few years ago from a company called Formotion. The version that I have may no longer be available but they have other nice looking motorcycle and performance clocks in their catalog. Price for my set was about $40 for the clock and $25 for the bezel.

ecollins11

Premium Subscriber
I purchased the clock and aircraft-type bezel on-line a few years ago from a company called Formotion. The version that I have may no longer be available but they have other nice looking motorcycle and performance clocks in their catalog. Price for my set was about $40 for the clock and $25 for the bezel.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.