WABC 770 was off the air for an hour this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

a29zuk

Yes it's Frankie Russo on WABC weekend overnights and he's really entertaining. Frank Morano is the Mon-Fri overnight host and his show is also quite good. I enjoy the fact they take callers and the topics are interesting at times.

I work 3rd shift so I miss out during the week but like to listen to WABC on the weekend. The best part is there are way less commercial ads on WABC after midnight compared to the daytime talk shows.

Also like to listen to Zoomer radio on 740.

Back in the 70s and earlier "clear channel" frequencies were actual clear channels. Other stations on the clear channel frequencies would go off at sundown. That opened up the gates for cross country listening. I enjoyed waking up early before school and listening to KFI 640 out of Los Angeles along with KSL 1160 Salt Lake City and KOA 850 out of Denver.

WLS 890 and WABC 770 were great music stations back then!

Jim

WA8ZTZ

I'm in Toronto and one morning driving to work I wanted to listen to WCBS on 880 but was getting CKLQ in Brandon, Manitoba. Totally unexpected and I didn't even care that it was Country Music.
This has kind of kindled my DX interest again. (y)

Sometimes the Manitoba station will completely override WCBS here even though CKLQ sends most of its signal to the North away from me.
Stuff like this is what makes AM DXing interesting.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I work 3rd shift so I miss out during the week but like to listen to WABC on the weekend. The best part is there are way less commercial ads on WABC after midnight compared to the daytime talk shows.

Also like to listen to Zoomer radio on 740.

Back in the 70s and earlier "clear channel" frequencies were actual clear channels. Other stations on the clear channel frequencies would go off at sundown. That opened up the gates for cross country listening. I enjoyed waking up early before school and listening to KFI 640 out of Los Angeles along with KSL 1160 Salt Lake City and KOA 850 out of Denver.

WLS 890 and WABC 770 were great music stations back then!

Jim
Yeppers, that's what I was saying in post 13, many stations went off the air at sundown when I was listening in the early 60s as a kid. High-wattage stations really were Clear Channel, back then one of the biggest was WOR 710 in New York.

a29zuk

Sometimes the Manitoba station will completely override WCBS here even though CKLQ sends most of its signal to the North away from me.
Stuff like this is what makes AM DXing interesting.
Usually the country music station I hear on 880 KRVN? is Lexington, NE. I haven't heard the Manitoba station. I'll have to give it a try on the weekend.

Jim

a29zuk

Yeppers, that's what I was saying in post 13, many stations went off the air at sundown when I was listening in the early 60s as a kid. High-wattage stations really were Clear Channel, back then one of the biggest was WOR 710 in New York.
Ah yes... good ole WOR! KYW 1060 news radio would boom in here in Michigan on most nights, too. You could listen to Fort Wayne Komet hockey on WOWO 1190. WOAI out San Antonio 1200 was another good catch.

Jim

WA8ZTZ

KRVN AM 880 is a tough catch here as it sends its nighttime signal west to protect NY.
WOWO AM 1190 used to be clear channel 50kw back when but now only 9.8kw at night...
can still hear it but noisy. WOAI AM 1200 now mostly covered here in MI by the local WMUZ
which runs 15kw nighttime.

Dispatrick

Premium Subscriber
Wish I would have known they were going off the air! I live line of sight less than 2 miles away from the tower and it causes interference on everything! When I DX for AM at night I have to rotate my radio a certain direction to listen to other AM stations across the band. I would have love to seen what I could pick up. I remember 1010 WINS going off the air back during Hurricane Sandy and picking up another station on 1010

VA3TFC

Wish I would have known they were going off the air! I live line of sight less than 2 miles away from the tower and it causes interference on everything! When I DX for AM at night I have to rotate my radio a certain direction to listen to other AM stations across the band. I would have love to seen what I could pick up. I remember 1010 WINS going off the air back during Hurricane Sandy and picking up another station on 1010

Well it was unannounced and completely random when they did go off the air. I just happened to be trying to listen at the time. Sadly I didn't hear any other signals on 770 when they were off the air. As for WINS 1010 they share the same frequency as CFRB 1010 in Toronto. If I turn the radio one way I can get 1010 CFRB and if I turn it the opposite way I get WINS 1010 from NYC.

I'm pretty lucky here in terms of local interference since we only have 3 medium wave BCB local stations and their transmitter sites are several miles from me. I think only one of them runs 50,000 watts during the daytime hours anyway and reduces power at sunset.

N4KVE

They’re still around? I haven’t listened to WABC since they abandoned the top 60 song format, & went to talk radio. Back then Cousin Brucie, Scott Muni, Dan Ingram, & others ruled the AM airwaves playing popular music from the British Invasion.
WABC Musicradio 77

Last edited:

VA3TFC

They’re still around? I haven’t listened to WABC since they abandoned the top 60 song format, & went to talk radio. Back then Cousin Brucie, Scott Muni, Dan Ingram, & others ruled the AM airwaves playing popular music from the British Invasion.
WABC Musicradio 77

Cousin Brucie is back at WABC every Saturday night from 8-10pm and then followed by Tony Orlando. Both spin oldies music and Tony Orlando has guests on from the music business.

6079smithw

I could copy them in the wee hours on my little Emerson portable at Jacksonville (FL) Naval Air Station back in 1965... (Yeah, I am that old...o_O)

N4KVE

I could copy them in the wee hours on my little Emerson portable at Jacksonville (FL) Naval Air Station back in 1965... (Yeah, I am that old...o_O)
I listened to them as a kid in Montreal Canada. They were at least a month ahead of the Canadian radio stations. When the local stations were playing “Roll Over Beethoven”, WABC was playing “I Want To Hold Your Hand”, which came out a month later in Canada. Cousin Brucie recently retired from satellite radio. He made a fortune buying, & selling radio/TV stations, so he doesn’t need the $. But he loves spinning the discs.

Status
Not open for further replies.