wacars

Status
Not open for further replies.

apd3190

How are the acars messages decoded? Im running wacars and i can read everything but the message itself. Just random numbers and letters. Thanks

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There was a book sold by Universal radio (don't know if they still have it) that showed you how to read the messages. I kinda doubt you could get one from ARINC/SITA as they aren't real fond of hobbyists being able to read these messages.

However other packages such as ACARSD do decode most of the messages into English, at least the old version I used to run. Might be worth considering if you want to stay with this. It's freeware....73 Mike

FLRAILMAN

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
acars, wacars & acars-d

Universal no longer sells that book. Just Google "Acars" & a ton of sites will appear, also the RR aviation Wiki has a bunch of helpful acars decoding information. Happy decoding.

FLRAILMAN

apd3190

Thanks for the info. I think i might have to break down and pay the $30 bucks for air nav.. Tried acarsd but coulndt even get passed the setup..what a pain

FLRAILMAN

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
acars, wacars & acars-d

I know that program, it's good but get with BMT first, he is a member here & extremely helpful. He has a serious aviation set-up at his qth, if you are really serious about this, he will hook you up big time, or should I say, real time. Good luck.

www.airnavsystems.com/ACARS/index.html

FLRAILMAN

Last edited:

BMT

I have never tried ACARS.
I am a very serious MILAIR monitor.
Monitoring 6,000 plus MILAIR UHF and VHF keep's me busy.

BMT

apd3190

I guess that does keep you busy. Sounds exciting. What kind of equipment are you working with? I'm just getting back into it after many years (and a divorce) . Just trying to catch up with the new systems and trying to find some new thing to monitor.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
apd, if you want something 'new to monitor', stick your nose in the Maryland sticky thread on Milcom. There is quite literally a ton of information to be had here - lots going on, all the time. Your PRO-97 and 2004 will do for a start; you didn't say what antenna(s) you are using, but getting a discone, ScanTenna or one of the DPD Productions antennas up in the air will open up a new world for you. The 2004 may need a little 'kick in the pants' via a preamp, as it's not as sensitive as many of the newer scanners, but it's pretty flexible. I had one for a number of years, but got rid of it a year or two ago as it had a bad volume control pot that I couldn't find much of a replacement for.

We have a LOT of information on milcom monitoring in our area in the wiki, although some of it could stand some updating. Most of the frequency information there is still pretty good, though. I will send you a list of articles to read up on in a private email, since this post is technically OT....73 Mike

D

DaveNF2G

An older program called POSFIX can interpret some ACARS messages into human-readable text.

Status
Not open for further replies.