Waco TX, RADIO COMMUNICATION SUPERVISOR. Anyone interested?

Status
Not open for further replies.

larrybl58

It was $52,650, and yep the listing is gone. Guess I need to visit the old shop and see who is there. Been over 6 months sense I've been there.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
It was $52,650, and yep the listing is gone. Guess I need to visit the old shop and see who is there. Been over 6 months sense I've been there.

I meant to call you and ask how retirement was going but I realized your phone number was associated with my Bearcom account so after I left it removed itself from my phone. To jog your memory a bit...I still haven't started working on Allis-Chalmers B-110 I sent you a picture of a few years back.

larrybl58

Thanks for the call, can't say I miss the shop, or the daily commute. As they say, you will be busier in retirement. I have more projects (that I prefer doing than managing a radio system) than I can shake a stick at. My latest project is done, and up for sale.

Attachments

• Swisher.jpg
    Swisher.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 68

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the call, can't say I miss the shop, or the daily commute. As they say, you will be busier in retirement. I have more projects (that I prefer doing than managing a radio system) than I can shake a stick at. My latest project is done, and up for sale.

Larry, I damn sure miss you working at the city of Wacko.

However, I know the toxic work environment that oozes from this municipality. My wife and I experienced such when she was fired. She worked for the city Secretary. My better half does not play, particularly in office politics. In my opinion, the only decent person in that fetid quagmire was Holze.

I seriously doubt they will find someone of your caliber. Hopefully, you interest in radios will help us keep up with the various plugs. I am still waiting on Phase II talk groups.

Recently, I noticed a change in the system frequencies. When I compared the frequencies, I hope you were the one who submitted the changes.

We live fairly close to one another. One day, we need to have a cup of Joe together and talk radios.

Good luck in your retirement.

Last edited:

larrybl58

As for the change in frequencies, The County was planning on adding 4 additional simulcast sites to Waco's system. There was an interferance issue at one of their sites. so Motorola decided that one or two of the frequencies had to be changed system wide. Sounds like they may have done this. Another reason I retired was with the County adding these sites, their plan was to bring all the remaining agencies and VFD's on. Just before I left I was programming radios that were legacy XTS / XTL's and barely capable of operating P-25.

n5rv

Chemically inert
Premium Subscriber
I'm kinda glad I missed this initial post. Waco is my home town. I would have been tempted to apply. But, I only have 6 more years till I retire from my position as a radio tech for the game wardens. I left Waco when I was 21 years old, I'm almost 61 now. Going back home always makes me depressed for some reason.

larrybl58

It's been a bitter sweet retirement for me so far. My last year was mostly working remotely and doing a lot of programming from home. Once I retired (January) I had a lot of stress lifted, and no more 50 mile commutes every day, and more time to work around the house. Last week my Brother in Maryland passed, and I was not able to travel. His passing was sudden and has weighed hevely on me for the last couple weeks. I still plan to visit the shop some time when I have to go to Waco.

jhooten

I gave the facility manager the passwords to the systems, locked the phone room and the radio building for the last time, turned in my keys, heard the sallyport doors slam for the last time eleven years and a couple months ago. Never looked back and when I saw their caller ID on the phone let it ring. I don't miss it one bit.

n5rv

Chemically inert
Premium Subscriber
I still plan to visit the shop some time when I have to go to Waco.

I still go by the Motorola shop in San Angelo where I worked for them twice. I miss the shop, ,but I will not miss being the only radio tech for the west side of the state (for the game wardens). I traveled a lot (international and domestic) when I worked for Motorola (as an FTR out of Ft Worth), and I travel a lot by road now. I will be happy when there is no travel plans in my future....

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I gave the facility manager the passwords to the systems, locked the phone room and the radio building for the last time, turned in my keys, heard the sallyport doors slam for the last time eleven years and a couple months ago. Never looked back and when I saw their caller ID on the phone let it ring. I don't miss it one bit.

LOL. Try to use "sallyport" in a sentence outside prison or jail. I don't know where that name originated. In time, after I master my D750, I will attempt to use my SDR setup here to see if other talk groups have been added. I don't know anyone in this county who shares my hobby or helps in identifying new talk groups for HOTRRS.

larrybl58

No help here on the HOTRRS as I don't even own a scanner any more. I have shifted my interest elsewhere.
I'll be at this event, Not sure what I am bringing but this seems to be a hit there.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 15

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
No help here on the HOTRRS as I don't even own a scanner any more. I have shifted my interest elsewhere.
I'll be at this event, Not sure what I am bringing but this seems to be a hit there.

Yeah, I will never ever forget your workspace. You have a nice collect of riding rigs. After working in mental health all of those year in prison, my favorite thing to do is jump up on a John Deer tractor.

Status
Not open for further replies.