Waco TX, TV news channel frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobCrk

I am trying to find the frequencies that they may use to assign newscasters to breaking stories for the following news TV channels here in Waco/central TX , KXXV, KWKT, KCEN, KWTX. Does anyone else monitor TV channels and if so where do you find the frequencies? Thanks for any help.

ecps92

Some still exist, but are not used as they were Pre Y2K
Most are for setting up live-shots and IFB's, as technology has evolved and they use Data via phone.

Best is to search 450-451 and 455-456, see if you get any activity
Many stations have moved away from two way radios and use cellphones to send out reporters.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I am trying to find the frequencies that they may use to assign newscasters to breaking stories for the following news TV channels here in Waco/central TX , KXXV, KWKT, KCEN, KWTX. Does anyone else monitor TV channels and if so where do you find the frequencies? Thanks for any help.
Bob,
I don't have any information as to what your local stations might be using. However, let me point out what is happening up here in the DFW Metro area, Here is the list of media frequencies in the database for DFW.

The majority of those frequencies are in either the 450.000 to 450.999. You see references to helicopters, and also a section of frequencies used for "traffic" reports. That frequency band does not usually deal with assigned licenses. Instead, the various outlets basically coordinated among themselves to keep their channels from conflicting with a different station.

Those have long since been virtually abandoned. Before the 9-11 attacks, several of the "traffic" links listed operated helicopters to monitor traffic for on-air reports during the morning and evening rush. All of the major television stations (4, 5, 8, and 11) had their own copters to cover breaking news events or to show storm damage if part of the area was hard hit. You might have heard reporters talking to the news desk at their station to get an assignment, or to report in what they had found. Those were also used to cue the reporter for a live shot from the scene. In some cases, the news desk would send the reporter or copter a page with information of an ongoing event, so as not to tip off one of the other stations.

All of that usage is long gone, as Bill noted, after 9-11 . While I still have the frequencies programmed in one scanner, "just in case", I can't remember the last time I heard anything of interest. The field reporters are using cell phones to receive assignments or report back, and in some cases, video is sent back, via the phone, by a reporter on scene who does not have a photographer or live van with them. Using the phones, the other stations would not hear what one channel has found, so they might be the only station at the scene, or at least got a head start on coverage.

All of the local stations here got rid of their own helicopters, and instead use a contracted company based in Garland. The same bird may be feeding video to more than one station, at the same time. One of the local TV stations (I'm not positive, but I believe that it is KDFW, 'Fox 4') has since elected to pay for exclusive use of one of the helicopters rather than sharing shots with the competition. The traffic reports now are basically done from an office, with individuals assigned to monitor agencies & traffic cameras (on the freeways) in specific areas.

RR says the Phase 2 system is the Sheriff primary comms; it could be that they are on that system and the Sheriff dept is still simulcasting just the dispatch on the old 155.7 freq. Looks like they are using encryption on the Phase 2 system. Have you tried listening to the input to 155.7 (159.21)?

Rich - N3VMY - KAG0096
Best is to search 450-451 and 455-456, see if you get any activity
Agreed, that's probably your best bet, in case one of your local outlets is still using the old style of communications.

nd5y

Search the FCC database for RP Broadcast Auxiliary Remote Pickup licenses in your area on
161.64-161.76
450.01-450.99
455.01-455.99

One of the TV stations here used to rent airtime on a commercial LTR system. That's another possibility.

Also remember that according to Title 18 USC Sec 2510-2512 it is probably illegal to listen to broadcast auxiliary stations.

Harold

Premium Subscriber
In DFW, Sky Helicopters provides services for WFAA Ch. 8 (450.0875) KDFW Fox 4 (450.3125) and KTVT Ch. 11 (450.5125) they share a pooled feed, from a single helicopter. Each has the right to exclusive time. Sky also provides service to KXAS Ch.5 ( 450.1875) who also provides feeds to Telemundo. You can still hear each of them communicate to their respective News Desk on the listed frequency. Other that that the days of hearing reporters being sent to cover stories, over the two way, are long gone.

RadioBoy69

As Harold has stated above, those frequencies are still in use. I hear quite a bit on them actually. I usually scan them and that is how I normally find out when something major is going on in the DFW area. I also have not heard a reporter dispatched on the radio in well over 25 years.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I also have not heard a reporter dispatched on the radio in well over 25 years.
And you're not likely to hear it in the future. The news business is very competitive. It's one of the things the station has control over. Most of the non-news programming is handled by the network.

Rather than encrypting their radios, the stations will use an existing secure method: cell phones. There's always that chance that a competitor didn't hear an important dispatch, i.e., PD or FD, and to put it out on a system that's surely being monitored by others would be tantamount to calling the competitor and giving it to them.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Scan 450-455 for a bit n see what you hear! I’m guessing not much...I was in the KWTX newsroom a year or so ago n no two-way radio at the desk! You might hear engineering chatter just before a show but even that is almost gone with the heavy use of bonded cell phone devices...

Status
Not open for further replies.