Waitress finds FBI agent's ammo clip in Lincoln restaurant

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyD714

magazine=clip

I don't know where the usage "clip" came from, except maybe because it just "clips"s in nice and easy... but I know why they don't use "magazine"; because people would think they were talking about a printed periodical and not give a ****.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The term "clip" is actually a military term used to explain the the piece of metal that held together 5 rounds which fit into an M-1 Garand rifle. Mags= magazine,etc.
n9zas

SCPD

QRT
The term "clip" is actually a military term used to explain the the piece of metal that held together 5 rounds which fit into an M-1 Garand rifle. Mags= magazine,etc.
n9zas

Yup, my training in the Navy on the M1911A it was called a clip.

WA4MJF

A clip fits inside of the receiver, such as the enbanc clip for the Garand, 8 rounds, BTW, mentioned previously. A magazine can be built in, Mauser K-98, for example, or hang below, M-14, for example, to the side, Sten SMG, for example, or on top, Bren MG, for example. A stripper clip can also used to reload a magazine, usually via a notch on top of receiver, that allows the ammo to be pushed into the built in or detachable magazine. With an adapter, a clip can also be used to reload a detachable magazine when not inserted in the weapon.

Squad10

If it is associated with a standard Bureau issue Glock 22 or 23, the proper name is pistol magazine.

wb0qqk

Premium Subscriber
I have a few half-moon clips used to hold three .45 ACP rounds in the
cylinder of a Colt M1909 revolver. Media never gets anything right when
it comes to firearms. A recent newspaper article reported that an officer
shot a criminal with his service revolver. The agency involved transitioned
from revolvers to semi-automatic pistols twenty-four years ago.

SCPD

QRT
How much of the rest of the story can be trusted if they can't get this right?

[SARCASM]

Well Don, since I heard the call on the scanner myself, including the Agents name, I'd say aside from the media calling it a "clip" (which is apparently upsetting the firearms purists) I'd say they got everything right.

Even the cop on the radio called it a clip, not a magazine. I think many folks are just finding something petty to harp about. As I said, "clip" or "magazine" the point was made and people understood what was meant.

From Wikipedia:

A magazine is an ammunition storage and feeding device within or attached to a repeating firearm. Magazines may be integral to the firearm (fixed) or removable (detachable). The magazine functions by moving the cartridges stored in the magazine into a position where they may be loaded into the chamber by the action of the firearm. The detachable magazine is often referred to as a clip; such usage is frowned upon by many authorities on firearms but is nonetheless commonplace.

[/SARCASM]

wb0qqk

Premium Subscriber
Clip or magazine, either one is close enough for government work.
The average citizen doesn't know the difference anyway whether it's
firearms or radios. I've had CBer types look at the control head of the
Astro Spectra Plus in my cruiser and wanted to know if I can "shoot
skip with that rig."

"Uh, roger that good buddy. Just got an BOLO from Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane
warnin' me that Bo and Luke Duke are heading this way."

wb0qqk

Premium Subscriber
Does there have to be a reason to post anything on a forum? I think not.
Dak48 heard radio traffic that he found interesting and wanted to share it
with his radio enthusiast counterparts. Nothing wrong with that and if it
sparked controversy, that's okay too. No harm, no foul.

The only one who probably should care is the agent who will never hear the
end of this from his buddies. I know a retired OPD command officer who had
a Seecamp 32 discharge in his back pocket while in the elevator at Central
Station back in 1978. The round hit him in the rump and the story hit the
papers.

It was determined that the safety failed and Seecamp paid for the injury, but
32 years later, the guy still takes a licking at reunions and retirement parties.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
I'll bet he does.LOL I wasn't being mean or rude, the fact that it was monitored and reported here is fine, good catch to the poster. I just didn't see the logic about the banter of the description of the clip or magazine. I also just felt that the story in of itself was typical B.S. news that had no value other than to demonize either the officer and the ammo, or both. If you look at the news story with today's values I guess we ALL now have to be afraid of ammo as well as guns or weapons. How sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.