Wake County VHF Feed Alerting (Fire/EMS)

PKnight56

Premium Subscriber
Howdy Everyone!
Is anyone aware of a feed (or is willing to throw one up) for private use of just the simulcasted locution alert channels? I am working on ironing out the county fire department and Wake EMS tone assignments, I just don't have the resources for semi-long term monitoring (running on my personal pc for a few hours at a time wont cut it).

If anyone has some insight let me know! I may work on rigging the old WS1040 up to some long term data storage with TTD if no one has a feed on hand. I'd also be open to collaboration if anyone else is working on this already.

Thank you for any help in advance!

fredva

Feed Provider
I'm not in the area, but it might be helpful to explain the end goal - for a job, volunteering, personal situational awareness, hobby, etc.

PKnight56

Premium Subscriber
I'm not in the area, but it might be helpful to explain the end goal - for a job, volunteering, personal situational awareness, hobby, etc.

The end goal is to complete the 2-Tone database for all Fire/EMS in the county, not just RFD. Mostly for personal use and for some volunteers that may want to get into their own paging.
The current list for RFD is also outdated since apparatus numbers have changed since the list was made many years ago.

west-pac

Howdy Everyone!
Is anyone aware of a feed (or is willing to throw one up) for private use of just the simulcasted locution alert channels? I am working on ironing out the county fire department and Wake EMS tone assignments, I just don't have the resources for semi-long term monitoring (running on my personal pc for a few hours at a time wont cut it).

If anyone has some insight let me know! I may work on rigging the old WS1040 up to some long term data storage with TTD if no one has a feed on hand. I'd also be open to collaboration if anyone else is working on this already.

Thank you for any help in advance!

Does the county have a daily or weekly test page? That would be a good time to get a lot of tones recorded.

PKnight56

Premium Subscriber
I have never heard of a planned test or heard an actual test in 3 years, they may have happened while I havent been paying attention though. Certainly not weekly, maybe monthly or quarterly.
Does the county have a daily or weekly test page? That would be a good time to get a lot of tones recorded.

west-pac

I have never heard of a planned test or heard an actual test in 3 years, they may have happened while I havent been paying attention though. Certainly not weekly, maybe monthly or quarterly.

The counties around me do a test page everyday. Some in the morning at 7am or 8am, and some in the evening at 6pm, 6:30pm, and 7:00pm.

PKnight56

Premium Subscriber
The counties around me do a test page everyday. Some in the morning at 7am or 8am, and some in the evening at 6pm, 6:30pm, and 7:00pm.
I just confirmed that RWECC doesn't run scheduled test pages, they will only test a specific tone when issues arise.

OnYourSix

NY --> NC
Premium Subscriber
I’m already running two feeds. If I added in Wake County Paging for a little while to one of them, would that help?

PKnight56

Premium Subscriber
If you have good conventional reception, I can handle the recording and analyzing. I leave my G5 recording overnight but my signal is spotty so I miss a few pages here and there, plus the call volume in the county drops significantly at night. If you throw the WC conventional alert channel in that would be helpful!

west-pac

If you have good conventional reception, I can handle the recording and analyzing. I leave my G5 recording overnight but my signal is spotty so I miss a few pages here and there, plus the call volume in the county drops significantly at night. If you throw the WC conventional alert channel in that would be helpful!

In the northern states we're entering house fire season (when it gets cold enough that people start turning on their furnaces, space heaters, wood stoves, etc.. for the first time that season.) Does NC have that?

PKnight56

Premium Subscriber
In the northern states we're entering house fire season (when it gets cold enough that people start turning on their furnaces, space heaters, wood stoves, etc.. for the first time that season.) Does NC have that?

Partly. Any house "fires" we get these days (we rarely get any) from that kind of thing are usually just people smelling burning dust at this time of year. The county dispatches any smoke in a structure as a full alarm response, which means most dispatched structure fires are not actual fires at all. The rare working fire will usually get upgraded to additional resources as soon as the calltaker confirms visible flames/multiple callers reported.

west-pac

Partly. Any house "fires" we get these days (we rarely get any) from that kind of thing are usually just people smelling burning dust at this time of year.

If that's the case then the call volume may go up, meaning more tones more often during this time of year, so it would be a good time to record the Disp channel to collect those tones.

Chris0516

It sort of comes down to a use of logic. 30+yrs. ago I was living in Vermont(off of Lake Champlain), where wood stoves are common. But I would always hear about someone's house burning down, and the inhabitant dying after they fell asleep. Because, They left a space heater on, to heat up the room. The same when I lived in Minnesota(off of Lake Superior) 15yrs. ago.

west-pac

It sort of comes down to a use of logic. 30+yrs. ago I was living in Vermont(off of Lake Champlain), where wood stoves are common. But I would always hear about someone's house burning down, and the inhabitant dying after they fell asleep. Because, They left a space heater on, to heat up the room. The same when I lived in Minnesota(off of Lake Superior) 15yrs. ago.

We all understand why structures catch on fire. That is irrelevant. The point is it happens more during the fall and winter (the seasons that we are currently entering) due to home heating; thus generating more fire dept tone outs, which is what the OP needs to record to gathering the tone out tones.

PKnight56

Premium Subscriber
I have begun adding County Fire department 2 tone info to

Please double-check my work as you can. Since County departments rely so heavily on mutual aid, it is difficult to piece together each department's tones since they are often dispatched together out of order. I'll keep adding this as I confirm my list of ~200 tone set entries.

PKnight56

Premium Subscriber
I've run into some confusion that maybe someone here can clarify.

Some departments like Garner and Swift creek are hitting two different A tones with the same B tone for the same apparatus, leading to something like this:

1665637621787.png
1665637635147.png

I can't come up with any practical reason for this, but it's making the assignment difficult as each apparatus/station typically only gets 1 tone set, not two... I thought I was crazy at first but I reran the locution for each of those sets and they are in fact both

Cody7311

Feed Provider
I have the ability to run a feed of fire alerting. I'll set it up on Broadcastify. DM me if you have any other things you need other than WC Fire Alerting on the VHF.

west-pac

I've run into some confusion that maybe someone here can clarify.

Some departments like Garner and Swift creek are hitting two different A tones with the same B tone for the same apparatus, leading to something like this:

View attachment 129376
View attachment 129377

I can't come up with any practical reason for this, but it's making the assignment difficult as each apparatus/station typically only gets 1 tone set, not two... I thought I was crazy at first but I reran the locution for each of those sets and they are in fact both

Do they send both tones when they get toned out? If so, one may be a station alert for anyone inside the building, and the other may be for FFs pagers who are not already at the station.