Wake Med no longer has VHF 340

Status
Not open for further replies.

murrayustud

KI4DCR
Premium Subscriber
Just heard a Granville County EMS unit calling Big Wake several times on 155.340. Wake med north responded and stated that Wake no longer has any VHF radios...found that strange as a lot of other county's units transport to Wake & several of these counties still use VHF 155.340 (Nash I know is one and Franklin) I guess VHF comms even in hospitals are no more?

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Just heard a Granville County EMS unit calling Big Wake several times on 155.340. Wake med north responded and stated that Wake no longer has any VHF radios...found that strange as a lot of other county's units transport to Wake & several of these counties still use VHF 155.340 (Nash I know is one and Franklin) I guess VHF comms even in hospitals are no more?

Hey Charles.
My understanding is that the VHF is being phased out in favor of VIPER Medical Network on VIPER with Med 8 & 10 UHF being backups/gateways to VMN.
VMN (VIPER Medical Network) on VIPER is the system to use these days.
Over last few months the older Wake County EMS->Hospital Talkgroups have been patched to their VMN Equivalent talkgroups to get EMS units used to the VMN. The plan is to only use VMN talkgroups in Wake County.
Hope this helps!
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Let me also qualify that Wake Med may still have .340 capability but they may not monitor it as they do the VMN/800Mhz. A source in the know said they would be surprised to find out that Wake Med totally did away with .340.
Marshall KE4ZNR

ILMRadioMan

Yea, that would be VERY surprising.

Seeing as how many counties still use VHF, it would be very unwise to just start ripping out VHF radios.

I suspect you (and your source) are dead on Marshall.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
And to put this discussion to bed I have talked with my source again and found out that the VHF radio Wake Med had on .340 died. A replacement has been ordered and will be in soon. Once it has arrived Wake Med will resume monitoring .340.
Hope this helps answer this once and for all!
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
I am surprised after reading some of the post that Wake doesn't do the same thing Mecklenburg does.

All out of county EMS/Rescue units contact CMED on either 340, 280, Ems Mutual Aid, or Mecklenburg Roamer Dispatch.

Ems Mutual Aid and Mecklenburg Roamer Dispatch are programmed into other 800 Mhz system users radios. (ie. Cabarrus, Rowan, York, etc).

Then they are patched to the hospital they are calling via patch across the Mecklenburg Hospital talkgroups.

As far as I know it works great in Mecklenburg, since they handle more than 20-25 out of county and South Carolina units making transports daily.

It is amazing how clear the reports are with the patch. I can have a VHF 340 radio and a scanner with the Mecklenburg 800 Mhz calling hospital programmed it and hear all transmission and the VHF scanner will not break squelch unless the unit is real close to my location.

Another interesting thing with Mecklenburg is. The way the system is set up is that there is a hospital 800 Mhz for all the hospitals in Mecklenburg County as well as a Hospital Talkgroup for all of the Hospitals outside of Mecklenburd that surround them.

Mecklenburg for the most part has a pretty good system to deal with out of county and South Carolina units that transport to Mecklenburg hospitals daily.

As far as I know Mecklenburg EMS Units don't even have VHF or UHF radios in the units anymore. They are strictly 800 Mhz Mobiles and Portables.

The only VHF Frequencies that are left are:

156.165 Mhz County Fire/Rescue Paging
154.280 Mhz State Fire Patch for use with out of county and state Mutual Aid
155.280 Mhz & 155.340 Mhz Used mainly for calling to request a patch to a Mecklenburg Hospital

Just my thoughts

David

Status
Not open for further replies.