Wal-Mart Frequencies and CTCSS, DCS, CSQ or PL Tone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi There, I'm new to Radio Comms so i need your help with this.

I am a Cashier at my local Wal-Mart and i will be a CSM (confirmed) once i turn 18 in Febraury of 2017 and i would like to use my own radio. I also do returns all around the store all the time or a CSM has me watching the Front End while they do outlining at night when there is only one CSM. Now the front end doesn't always has a Radio (Motorola RDM2070D) because Electronics steals them or Management has them. I have been told that i can use my own radio since i will soon be a CSM and have even been told that i can use it for when i am running around the store for the CSMs doing price checks or returns even when im not a CSM.

They have told me the frequency which is 154.570 on the VHF band.

Heres my problem, The store manager or even any other person in the store doesn't know the CTCSS, DCS, CSQ or PL tones. I know they are using any one of those because I can here their transmissions and i can hear them talking. However when ever i try to transmit, They cannot hear me, however, there is a red and amber light on the top, and when ever i try to talk it lights up amber.

Are there any associates that are having the same problems? And is there anyone out there with any of those codes and the Hz that are used?

Thank You!

KD8DVR

Yes, you'll need to determine the Pl. May be a pain; but you may have to go thru all the CTCSS tones, starting at the lowest. You may be lucky and they just went with the default tone. That's what my work did when we carried radios. Now only our front end uses them. Glad, because all the chatter distracted me.

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Walmarts typically do not use a Pl tones on 154.570, they're usually Csq. Years ago when I worked for crapmart, I also used my own talkie. :wink: 73, n9zas

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
If you have a scanner capable of decoding PL/DPL, it will be able to tell you what code they are using.

SCPD

QRT
The rdu and other misc brands from corporate official tone use is as follows:

Ch 1 154.570 csq (alternative 67.0)
Ch 2 154.600 csq (alternative 67.0)
Ch 3 151.820 131 dpl (alternative lp use 250.3)
Ch 4 151.880 131 dpl (alternative lp use 250.3)
Ch 5 151.940 131 dpl
Ch 6 154.570 131 dpl
Ch 7 154.600 131 dpl

They had released the channels as follows though not many use it as listed and stick to whatever management or lp wants to use per store but originally this was the intended line up:
1 associates 1
2 associates 2
3 loss prevention
4 ics/management
5 custodial
6 associates toned 1
7 associates toned 2

Some locations if they are close to another wal mart or neighborhood wal mart will use a channel to talk to another typically managers. It varies per stores and some don't at all.

Alternatively channels 3 and 4 may use tone 250.3 for loss prevention if the loss prevention decides or has soneone that knows how or what's what so associates don't hear lp since most to wal mart lack there of intelligence to play with the radio. Some use 250.3 on 3 and 4 some just stick to 131 dpl. But the typical store will use the main line up I gave unless they have interference issues from outsiders on csq and have a internal theft issue which lp will use 3 or 4 250.3. LP sticks to 3 in most areas some use 4. Associates will only have 131 dpl on 3 and 4 if lp uses 250.3. Only lp and Management will use or have that tone.

Now a few locations will change the tones if they have had interference. Unnoficially 67.0 is channel 1 and 2 tone if interference was present so if they bring associates from stores from else where to do a major overhaul everyone could be on same page if management choose to use 67.0 on 1 and 2 for interference reasons and wanted the outsider associates to use there radios from store xxxx to communicate.

You will know right away if your store follows the Corp office plan of 2 csq and 131 dpl on rest if it matches up. To void out 67.0 just try them on 1 and 2 and that'll tell you if they use master plan with 2 csq followed by 131 dpl on rest. It varies but that is the default tone setup Corp sends them out on. If they change either management or a smart lp will monkey change the tones around on them all or like said if they have public interference.

But most don't mess with them so you'll find csq is on 1 and 2 and the rest 131 dpl.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Hi There, I'm new to Radio Comms so i need your help with this.

I am a Cashier at my local Wal-Mart and i will be a CSM (confirmed) once i turn 18 in Febraury of 2017 and i would like to use my own radio. I also do returns all around the store all the time or a CSM has me watching the Front End while they do outlining at night when there is only one CSM. Now the front end doesn't always has a Radio (Motorola RDM2070D) because Electronics steals them or Management has them. I have been told that i can use my own radio since i will soon be a CSM and have even been told that i can use it for when i am running around the store for the CSMs doing price checks or returns even when im not a CSM.

They have told me the frequency which is 154.570 on the VHF band.

Heres my problem, The store manager or even any other person in the store doesn't know the CTCSS, DCS, CSQ or PL tones. I know they are using any one of those because I can here their transmissions and i can hear them talking. However when ever i try to transmit, They cannot hear me, however, there is a red and amber light on the top, and when ever i try to talk it lights up amber.

Are there any associates that are having the same problems? And is there anyone out there with any of those codes and the Hz that are used?

Thank You!

You can easily find the tones your stores radios use by using a rdm that has a screen and finding the listed tone in the menu per channel. Since you have access it'll probably be faster way to find it over buying a scanner that decodes tones. Just make sure your radio is certified for murs use that you buy. So basically don't use a xts or ht1000 unless your one of those that doesn't care.

Try 67.0 or 131 dpl. I forget the code for which the tones are labeled but you can find it in Google for Motorola RDM2070D tone chart.

Last edited:

16b

Premium Subscriber
I have programmed my radio with some custom tones as follows.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Next time i work i will test the radio. If that doesn't work I'll buy a RDM2070D used off ebay and just use the frequency for that.

It looks like you don't have the DCS programmed properly on channel 2. According to what was posted earlier in the thread it should be 131, but you have 023. Also, I don't see CTCSS 131.8 mentioned anywhere in the thread; maybe you got that confused with DCS 131? To summarize the thread, it sounds like you want to try:
154.570 CSQ (no tone)
154.570 67.0 CTCSS (TSQL)
154.570 131 DCS (DTCS)

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
A used radio will only have the correct frequencies in it as they can't be changed but the pl and dcs codes can be changed by the end user. However after glancing through the manual if you can get your hands on a radio that's already working it should be easy to tell what the tones are. And also another interesting thing in the manual is if you have a gang charger around you can clone one radio to another without the need of software or a clone cable. So if you were to buy a matching radio it would easy enough to clone. I'd give the manual a read and it may be helpful

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Update ust for informational purposes:
https://www.twowayradiocenter.com/motorola-rdm2070d/
This has the standard tones in use. These of course can be changed using the CPS by the radio guys to other set ups. many of which are listed in previous posts.

Ok, you definitely need to stick that in the Wiki; in fact, I'm almost thinking that link could go in the subcategory notes of the MURS section of the Nationwide database. . .

Update: I just stuck it in the MURS Wiki off the Nationwide database. I should be working but my brain isn't fully in work mode yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.