Wal Mart Frequencies/Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

WPXS472

Every time I go the my local Wal Mart in Oxford, I see employees wearing and talking over portable radios. These are lower end Motorola VHF handhelds. Having an inquiring mind, I wondered what service these radios were licensed under. A search of the FCC database revealed no licenses for Wal Mart in the area. I suspect they are MURS radios, but , does anyone know for sure?

tj20

I know hell-mart gets a discount on buying multiple motorola radios, but its amazing a billion dollar company cant do better. For maybe a few more dollars they could get dtr radios for privacy and interference. Managers get really mad when there is an event close by and the event people choose murs.

radiopro52

At my Walmart, most employees use Motorola XTN 2600 radios. They don't have good range in the store so I can't imagine you being able to listen in from outside the store, except maybe the parking lot. Most of our chatter is heard on 154.600, however I have noticed that security and the greeters use another frequency.

SCPD

QRT
At my Walmart, most employees use Motorola XTN 2600 radios. They don't have good range in the store so I can't imagine you being able to listen in from outside the store, except maybe the parking lot. Most of our chatter is heard on 154.600, however I have noticed that security and the greeters use another frequency.

Most of the time loss prevention runs on channel 3. Typically 250.3 tone. Though there is a official wally world sheet and the radios come pre set to the tone of the sheet store managers will change them or typically someone who knows how to play with them to anything. Csq is common for channels 1 and 2. 3 and 4 lp use 250.3 or 131 dpl. 5 and 6 are channels 1 and 2 again but with 131 dpl. Like said depends on location and if someone knew or knows how to change them with the tones. If its a cluttered location they may run pl or dpl for 1 and 2 but typically it's csq on them. There is a few posts on it giving the frequencies in order they use that are murs. I have a spec sheet from a regional Manager buddy I know and it lists same as others posted. Csq on 1, 2. 250.3 for 3 and 4, then 5 and 6 131 dpl. There is also a older sheet which had 131 dpl on all but 1 and 2. You'd have to tone search to be sure for you locations though. But that was the official sheet they had.

radiopro52

Most of the time loss prevention runs on channel 3. Typically 250.3 tone. Though there is a official wally world sheet and the radios come pre set to the tone of the sheet store managers will change them or typically someone who knows how to play with them to anything. Csq is common for channels 1 and 2. 3 and 4 lp use 250.3 or 131 dpl. 5 and 6 are channels 1 and 2 again but with 131 dpl. Like said depends on location and if someone knew or knows how to change them with the tones. If its a cluttered location they may run pl or dpl for 1 and 2 but typically it's csq on them. There is a few posts on it giving the frequencies in order they use that are murs. I have a spec sheet from a regional Manager buddy I know and it lists same as others posted. Csq on 1, 2. 250.3 for 3 and 4, then 5 and 6 131 dpl. There is also a older sheet which had 131 dpl on all but 1 and 2. You'd have to tone search to be sure for you locations though. But that was the official sheet they had.
Interesting. The radio I use only has channels 1 and 2 programmed (though the same traffic can be heard on both channels). I could probably program the radio myself, or if not the manual for the radios are available online, but they may not like me doing that. I don't think they want us to hear LP for some reason, but LP can hear us.

n5ims

The simple solution, for a listen-only use anyway, is to program them in with no tone (or CSQ) since that will pick up anything on the channel, tone or not. They can then use whatever tone they want and you'll still pick them up. No need to use tone search or program in several channels for the same frequency but different tones.

Now if you're planning to attempt to talk to them (and why is that?), you'll need to use the correct tone, but that will probably just get you in trouble and removed from the store. Sure, the FCC won't care, but chances are that your local WalMart will have a lot more pull with the local PD than you will and they will most certainly not care that you may be legally using your MURS radio the store will claim (probably correctly) that you were interfering with their private communications. While they probably won't be able to charge you criminally, they can have you removed and given a criminal trespass warning, which will allow them to arrest you and charge you with violating that notice if you go to the store again.

SCPD

QRT
Interesting. The radio I use only has channels 1 and 2 programmed (though the same traffic can be heard on both channels). I could probably program the radio myself, or if not the manual for the radios are available online, but they may not like me doing that. I don't think they want us to hear LP for some reason, but LP can hear us.

That is common. Sort of like internal affairs but very loosely said lol. They can hear everyone else but nobody can hear them. To prevent employees from monitoring them observing employee theft or activity and talk of it and employees. But anyone can still hear if they take the small effort.

trlrdrdave

I have heard of Walmart trying to get people off of "their" frequency. Didn't work so well when they found out the other people actually had a license for that frequency. They discovered right quick it was not "theirs".

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
LP uses different ctcss docs and different slot on the new Dr radios

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.