Wal-Mart Frequencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobra_Commander

Radio Guru
Premium Subscriber
I've scanned the m.u.r.s frequencies that Walmart is supposed to be using and was close to there radios when they were transmitting and i never heard anything on my radio?The antennas on the radios were vhf so they must be on vhf somewhere does anyone know any good up to date frequencies that are being used in northeast Ohio Walmart?

SCPD

QRT
There is this thread of wal mart some refer to some using digital possibly. http://forums.radioreference.com/tavern-archives/15235-wal-mart-has-gone-digital-no-kiddding-3.html
Make sure you have you radio on csq. It's possible a store or two changed pl/dpl codes then the older line up. I recall reading somewhere else also the digital thing on 900 MHz. What type radio was in use? 900 MHz antennas may be mistaken for VHF sometimes on them smaller radios. It's also possible that store got off murs bc of problems with interference I know the wal mart here had considered ordering similar radios or looked into the cp radio with business VHF such as the common ones kenwood or Motorola ship with for business radios. I'd search the business band VHF listed scan those. Whatever you find out let us know as other stores may change it up too. I believe the other source I read about digital had mentioned the particular store had issues with people messin wit them on murs. It's possible they changed also for those couple reasons thinking security is better using the business VHF freqs over murs. You know them and the earpieces nobody can hear us thing.

SCPD

QRT
I would assume also bein two watts you know you got to be close. The stores seem to utilize murs mostly in areas nobody used it. It's possible there was many users of murs and they decided to change up to the typical VHF band common frequencies. It makes me wonder if so who called them out in there bluff this is our frequencies when murs is public or if a savy manager knows some about two ways and decided to get his store off the free murs.

SCPD

QRT
Just a thought my money bets if they did ever go to a planned radio setup that costed anything it would be motoTRBO. But since there cheap on spending I don't think they'd do that unless a problem kept nagging them. In that vent you bet they'd use the privacy feature TRBO or if they decided nexedge they'd use the same factor privacy feature. I can see people get upset because murs is free for public and some get upset a company uses it but of you let it be and monitor share you can hear them also when desired. Enough push they'll go to something you can't and if they did they would ensure make it worth cost to do so which TRBO, nexedge offer with privacy capable. Obviously p25 wouldn't be a route they'd use for several reasons.

bigbud42010

I dont know what this guy is talking about but walmart uses murs they are not digital i hear them in store on my scanner on vhf i have a digital radio and walmart comes in as analog!!

SCPD

QRT
Who said your wal mart? The other thread had information from persons one or so was using a form of digital. I heard this on several different posts here of wal mart where a wal mart was using a 900 MHz digital Motorola business radio. The posting rp stayed he could not hear them txing while his radio was on murs. Either the pl/dpl on his is set to a diff one then they use and if not they are either using the common business band VHF not murs or utilizing that 900 MHz digital deal. Exactly why I said if he finds any different let us know.

SCPD

QRT
If I recall the particular radios that were being used in 900mhz were exclusively a 900mhz business band digital format capable with a privacy key. The radio was a odd digital format not p25. Digital. not analog at all. In that event you'd need a radio capable of using that propietary format or dsd and If it is that and they use the privacy key option you can forget it all together.

GM

Premium Subscriber
MURS has five frequencies. What that is in reference to is when you search the pre-programmed FRS/GMRS/MURS band on the Pro 106/GRE PSR 500, and let it scan to Ch. 26, which is listed as 154.5700. Hope that clarifies this for everyone. :) And the business band radios Wal-Mart may be using in other areas of the Country may be the Motorola DTR 900 MHz radios. As far as I know, they can't be monitored using DSD, and you would need a specific DTR radio tuned to that channel and talkgroup in the radio in order to monitor. There is a voice sample at W2SJW - Home website of these types of radios in use, in case anyone was interested in how crisp and clear the voice quality is.

CaptDan

The super WalMart near me uses MURS however they use a PL code to avoid hearing PITA that try and transmit to their employees.

A wackjob could key up and interfere with their communications but the PL code stops all but the die hard PITA's that want to interfere with their communications.

It's really a shame that everyone can't just get along. I find it entertaining listening to WalMart when I am near by or actually shopping.

my computer = my opinion

CaptDan

The super WalMart near me uses MURS however they use a PL code to avoid hearing PITA that try and transmit to their employees.

A wackjob could key up and interfere with their communications but the PL code stops all but the die hard PITA's that want to interfere with their communications.

It's really a shame that everyone can't just get along. I find it entertaining listening to WalMart when I am near by or actually shopping.

my computer = my opinion

Last edited:

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
Here in North Carolina I have seen the following:

Wal-Mart, Target, Sams, Costco, Bj Club and K-Mart

Either use VHF or UHF Intenerate or business and Family Radio service frequencies.

They walk around with small radios clipped to their pockets with VOX headsets.

I don't know if they are legally licensed or not.

David

Ranger0034

Wal-Mart Frequencies

In North Central CT, the two Wal-Marts closest to me use : 154.5700 Manchester, the NEW Super Wal-Mart in East Windsor CT, uses 151.8250

N8YX

All of the Wal-Marts that I have monitored in NW Ohio have been in the 460 business band areas.

Same in the Akron area, and a number of other close-by merchants also favor that allocation.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2338; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

If your scanner has a Close Call or Signal Stalker feature, try it and see if something pops up.
If you have a Service Search feature, try the F/G/MURS search. On my GRE PSR-500, it also includes several common itinerant VHF and UHF business band frequencies.
If not, and you're sure they're VHF, try searching between 151.490-152.000 MHz. There's a couple of channels in there that they could be using.
And if you do find it, post it.

CaptDan

The super wal mart in Bensalem PA, the old levittown shopping center - they use 154.6000 aka MURS 5

I listen to them regularly when I am there - it's amazing what one might hear - including when a customer asked a clerk about something out of stock on the shelf - I heard on the radio that there were 2 pallets full of the item that just came off the truck - but there was a bunch of other stuff in the way - so after some radio conversation - all of which i heard - someone says just tell the customer that we are all out but we are SURE we are getting it back in stock later today or tonight - so tell them to check back later or tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.