Walk Radio DAB–P9 – Review March 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

pb_lonny

The Walk Radio DAB –P9 is a breed of new cheap Chinese radio (CCR) which offer an amazing range of features at a rock bottom price. This specific model covers the FM broadcast band and DAB+, it does not cover the medium wave band at all.

Technical Details:

BrandIrforay
ManufacturerIrforay
Part NumberQYIRFORAYV6456CGAU
Display TypeLCD
GSM frequencies240 MHz
Package Dimensions12 x 8 x 4 cm; 155.5 Grams
Item Weight156 g
ManufacturerIrforay
ASINB08W2CX2B8
Manufacturer referenceQYIRFORAYV6456CGAU
Date First Available4 February 2021

Specification:
Type: DAB Digital Radio
Model: P9
Color: Yellow
Support radio modes: DAB+ digital radio, FM analog radio
DAB+ frequency: Band III (170-240mhz)
FM frequency band: 87.5-108mhz with RDS
Preset channels: 10 DAB channels and 10 FM channels
TF card player: Max 32G
The built-in speakers power: 2W 4 ohm
Power input: DC 5V
Battery: 3.7V 1000mAh lithium ion battery
Battery life: 22h headset mode, 10h speaker
Charging time: 3h
Item size: 10.5 * 6.2 * 1.5cm / 4.1 * 2.4 * 0.6in
Item weight: 92g / 3.2oz
Package size: 12.5 * 7.5 * 3.5cm / 4.9 * 3.0 * 1.4in
Package weight: 157g / 5.5oz

Package List:
1 * DAB Digital Radio
1 * Portable Rope
1 * USB Charging Cable
1 * English User Manual

Physical:This radio is tiny and very light, it easily fits in the palm of your hand. The weight is next to nothing. It has a 1000mAh battery and this recharges via the supplied USB cable.

Given the low cost, I am pleasantly surprised by the build quality and feel of the DAB-P9, it does not feel at all “cheap” and the yellow colour really makes it stand out. It weighs less than 100g, this makes it very easy to carry around.

Tuning / Reception:I have spent a lot of time tuning FM band. Given the lower numbers of stations on the FM band, this works well and with the help of the auto scan feature, I was able to locate all the local FM stations I would expect.

The only issue I have found with the tuning is that you either run it is auto scan mode where it finds stations automatically and you can then tune between these or manual mode where each button press moves you up in 100kHz tuning steps. Both modes work well and the addition of RDS helps with confirming stations.

As we don’t have DAB+ where I live, I took the chance on the weekend when I was travelling down to Hobart to test this out. Sitting about 12km from the Mt Wellington transmitter, I was able to log over 40 DAB+ stations. Signal levels were great as I would expect.

Usage:
The interface of the radio seems to work well, I have noticed some slight delay when pressing buttons and this is more pronounced when tuning on the FM band. The audio both via the speaker and ear phones has a pleasant tone and the volume is more than acceptable.

Positives / Negatives:+ Price
+ Size
+ Built-in Battery
+ Physical construction
- Tuning mode requires the use of the menu to change
- Slight delay from some buttons via the interface.

Overall:For the price, this is a great value FM/DAB+ radio. It works well, is cheap enough to be replaced if needed.

Photos: Walk Radio DAB–P9 – Review March 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.