Walkie-talkies explode in Lebanon day after deadly pager attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

KL5LD

Mark 12: 29-31
Premium Subscriber

DISCLAIMER: There is disturbing content in this article that may be upsetting to some. I DO NOT care to talk politics about this subject nor make any comments on who is right or wrong or which side to take. I am personally only interested in the story itself about the radios and pagers and how it happened.

The reported radios that exploded were Icom IC-V82 radios and the pagers were of an unknown brand at this time. (maybe somebody knows the brand make and model.)

I am just trying to figure out how this is possible. I have read different reports that contradict each other, but have read some analysis reports that they somehow were able to overcharge the battery to cause it to explode. Does anyone have any thoughts on how they could get so many radios to explode so quickly at the same time? I know if you use the radio a lot the radio can get hot, I do it sometimes when chatting on DSTAR with my ICOM ID-52. It gets pretty warm, but never too hot that I can't continue to talk on it. Never had this issue with Baofeng when talking on ALL-STAR nodes, and I can talk a lot lol. Could this be an issue with ICOM radios? I don't know enough about radios to determine how this happens so figure I ask the pros in here.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
There have been many reports through recent years about fake Icom 2m handhelds appearing on the market. It's entirely possible that the radios that looked like IC-V82s in photos were not actually produced by Icom. It's already been reported that the Apollo Gold pagers used in Tuesday's attack were not actually produced by Apollo.

It's not unusual for handheld radios to get warm when transmitting. Amplifier circuits, including the RF amplifiers used in handheld radios are not 100% efficient. A handheld radio might draw 8.5 watts of power from the battery, but only produce 5 watts of RF output power. The missing 3.5 watts gets turned into heat. With a handheld radio, the radio's chassis is the heat sink. And, when you are talking on a handheld radio, you are holding the heat sink.

Status
Not open for further replies.